Strawberry Shortcake Popsicles
Strawberry Shortcake Popsicles ~ This fast and easy strawberry recipe is also a low-fat dessert. Anyone sense a new recipe run? Yep, I’m on a serious Popsicle recipe kick. I love how easy they are to make and since they are tasty and low in calorie, you can indulge guilt free. Have one, two or ten!
It’s high strawberry season right now in California and with that comes buying strawberry in large flats. Most of the time between my son and I, we can pretty much polish them off before they expire, but there are times when I over purchase and they come close to the turning point and I have to use them up quickly.
This strawberry dessert recipe is great for those times. Just throw all the ripe strawberries in a blender, push the button to puree and your half way there. The other half comes from mixing the vanilla yogurt with some crushed vanilla flavored Oreos (you know the yellow ones instead of the chocolate colored Oreos) for a Strawberry Shortcake Popsicle recipe. To shave off a few more calories use Nilla wafers. But since my home is an Oreo loving home, we tend have those instead of Nilla wafers on hand. Either way you go, this low fat dessert recipe is prepped in less time than it takes to boil five quarts of water.
A few notes:
- I did not add any sugar to the strawberry portion, as ripe strawberries are sweet enough on their own. If you find your strawberries not sweet enough, add ¼ cup of simple syrup to every 1 ½ cup of pureed strawberries.
- For these popsicles I used Dixie Cups as my form, but use any Popsicle form you have to mold yours.
Strawberry Shortcake Popsicle
- 1 ½ cup pureed strawberries
- ½ cup crushed vanilla Oreos
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt
- Puree strawberries. Place Oreos in a food processor and pulse until cookies become fine crumbs. Alternatively, place Oreos in a Ziploc and using a rolling pin to crush cookies. Add crushed Oreos to the yogurt and mix until combined.
- To assemble as the seen in the picture, layer the yogurt portion first and let freeze for 30 minutes before adding the strawberry layer, let this second layer freeze for 30 minutes and then add the last yogurt layer. For a quick assembly, pour each layer on top of one another without any freeze time in between and then use a skewer or fork and gently swirl for a swirled Popsicle look.