Let’s get cozy with a comfort dish that will warm your belly and satisfy your soul. This wine braised short rib dish is a family favorite. In fact, so much so, I made it for New Year’s Day dinner.
It’s one of the recipes that takes some hands on time, but then you just throw it in oven and all the magic happens. The meat becomes soft and tender, the flavors expand and melts perfectly into the wine sauce. It’s also one of those dishes that gets better overnight.
But you know the thing I love best about this dish? You can dress it up or down. It has a lot of versatility – make it for your Sunday dinner and everyone can enjoy it around the dinner table in sweats. Make it for a holiday brunch and everyone is just as happy, albeit a little more dressed up. See what I mean?
And while I like mine to be served with polenta, this goes just as well with egg noodles or mash potatoes.
Now that you’re the know, go grab your bottle of Barefoot Merlot and get started (and psst. . .tip: when you buy the meat, make sure it is well marbled. This will ensure it will be tender rather than tough).
- 5 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 750 ml Barefoot Wine Merlot
- 10 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 4 sprigs oregano
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
- 4 cups low-salt beef stock
*This is a sponsored post in collaboration with Barefoot Wine. However, all opinions are my own.