Grab a glass of milk and lets talk fudge. And since I don’t like milk, I’ll grab coffee. And since I’m not a huge fan of straight fudge, I broke up my fudge recipe with more than one flavor and with some texture—remember this Oreo Fudge recipe? This time around I went for a peanut butter and caramel flavor and then gave the fudge a little crunch with some peanut butter pretzel sandwiches that then also gave the whole ensemble a sweet and salty combination.
I know it’s a mouthful, peanut butter, caramel, chocolate, fudge, pretzel sandwiches – yeah, it’s rich. But its also the holiday season, so self restraint is on hold and face stuffing is in full force.
Peanut Butter & Caramel Pretzel Crunch Fudge
Yield: Makes one 9x9 pan
- 12 oz. dark chocolate, about 2 cups
- 1 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 oz. peanut butter pretzel bits, about 2 cups
- 8.5 oz. white chocolate, about 1 1/3 cups
- 6 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup caramel sauce (Click here for the homemade recipe)
- 2 oz. peanut butter pretzel bites, chopped
Create a foil sling with a one inch overhang on each side.
- Place sweetened condensed milk and dark chocolate in saucepan over medium heat and stir until smooth. Fold in chopped peanut butter pretzel bites. Pour mixture into prepared pan and using an offset spatula spread evenly. Set aside.
- Place sweetened condensed milk, white chocolate and caramel in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until smooth. Pour over dark fudge layer and using an offset spatular spread evenly.
- Sprinkle remaining chopped peanut butter pretzel bites on top and press gently into caramel layer.
A few notes:
- For the chocolate portion I used Ghirardelli's dark 65% cacao.
- If you can, for the sweetened condensed milk portion use Borden its a little lighter and less sweet than the Carnation brand.
- For the caramel portion, I highly recommend using homemade caramel, as it will make a huge difference in flavor - especially, if you take your homemade caramel sauce to the dark amber state as it imparts a deeper flavor beyond just being sweet. For a step-by-step tutorial to making homemade caramel sauce click here for my post.
- The recipe is highly adaptable, so the chopped peanut butter pretzel sandwiches can easily be swapped to whatever your preference may be.