Sometimes quick meals are in order–okay, most times quick meals are in order, but every once in a while a meal that takes time is worth every minute of it, especially one that takes the time to sweat out chicken fat for flavor.
This is one of those meals.
I originally saw this recipe here. A truly awesome blog–if you’ve never been, take some time look around. However the recipe is originally from Nigel Slater, one of my favorite food writers and cookbook authors.
And since I’m often asked what some of my favorite cookbooks are I’ll say, his Kitchen Diaries ranks as one of my top five. Every single recipe is good–definitely a must have. For today, let’s get started with this one from Nigel Slater.
- Recipe from SimplyDeliciousFood.com
- 50g butter
- splash of olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 125g bacon/pancetta, sliced into thin strips
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 chicken pieces on the bone (4 thighs and 4 drumsticks, skin on)
- 250g portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 500ml Riesling (or dry white wine of your choice)
- 250ml cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- handful chopped parsley
Since I did not adapt this recipe in any way, please understand I'm sending you over to the original site of the recipe for the remainder of it as it's the courteous thing to do.
- Try to avoid using skinless, as most of the flavor is extracted from the skin.