Cake Batter Truffles
Cake Batter Bombes ~ Cake, sprinkles and chocolate rolled into a creamy bite size bombe. This is an easy four ingredient dessert that’s always a crowd a pleaser.
You might be more familiar with these being called Cake Batter Truffles, but I generally, have a hard time accepting anything called a truffle if it lacks the traditional chocolate ganache body. I know weird, right-can’t help it.
Whatever you want to call these Babies-make them! They are easy and tasty. The body of these bombes are made with sweetened condensed milk, add a little butter, some cake batter and get rolling. Then chill, dip and done. Enjoy!
I should mention I kinda went crazy with the photos. I had a few extra minutes and check it out, instead of doing something to cross off my check-list, I spent the time working on my photography skills.
Bad. Very bad. Oh well, at least I don’t manage money like I do time.
A few notes:
- I made a fast setting chocolate glaze for dipping instead of straight melted chocolate because I’m lazy and straight chocolate requires more dipping work. And since I’m anal, I hate messy chocolate coatings and the glaze is much more forgiving. The base is from my usual chocolate pouring glaze, but with half the cream.
- Keep in mind, if you use the chocolate glaze they will melt in your hands faster than if you use straight chocolate or chocolate wafers. Although I rolled my bombes small enough to be one bite so melting chocolate from warm hands is not an issue.
- Variation: To make this gluten free. Buy gluten free cake batter.
- I used a funfetti cake mix, but any cake mix will work. I also added extra sprinkles to my funfetti cake batter for added happiness.
- Since the body of these bombes are made with quite a bit of sweetened condensed milk and I’m no food safety expert, I store the bombes in the refrigerator and remove them 20 minutes prior to serving.
- For more funfetti and cake batter goodness checkout these Funfetti Cheesecake Pops and this fun Cake Batter Bark from Rosie of Sweetapolita
Cake Batter Bombes
Makes 34 three-quarter inch bombes
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoon butter
- ¾ cup cake mix, dry
- 2/3 cups chocolate, melted (for dipping)
- 2/3 cups dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted
- 3-5 tablespoons water, warm
1. Place sweetened condensed milk and butter in a pan over low heat. Heat mixture for about 10-15 minutes, making sure to stir constantly. Continue to heat until mixture can hold a line when a spoon or spatula is drawn through the mixture. Remove from heat and add dry cake mix and stir to combine. Set mixture aside for 5-10 minutes before rolling.
2. Lightly butter hands and roll mixture in 3/4 inch balls. Chill for 20 minutes and dip in chocolate. Then set dipped bombes aside for chocolate to set. *Optional: Dip in chocolate glaze. Recipe follows.
3. Place chocolate and heavy cream in a bowl over simmering water. Let chocolate and cream sit for 2-3 minutes to melt without stirring. Then slowly stir mixture to combine. Add powdered sugar and mix to combine. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing after each addition until a dipping consistency is reached. Set aside and let mixture cool to warm.