It’s been crazy hot here and made worse by that fact that I’m super pregnant and nearly immobile from being gi-normous. With that, I decided a hearty spring salad was an order. Something fresh, flavorful and full of bright colors. I know, this is a total hodge podge, but my salads usually are. In fact, they are usually born from a refrigerator clean out.
These clean outs are a total hit or miss with my family. And this was a miss, by a long shot. Thankfully, Matt made the entree for last night’s dinner—for the win. Wah. I even threw in honey tangerines, a favorite for the little guy and he still passed on my spring salad.
Well at least I have left overs for lunch today.
Shaved Asparagus Salad
Yield: 4 servings
- 8 large asparagus stalks, shaved
- 2 large carrots, shaved
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice (or quinoa or any grain of your choice)
- 1 bunch broccolini, trimmed and blanched
- 2 honey tangerine, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice.
- 2-3 radishes, sliced
- 7-8 purple cabbage florets, grated
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and drizzle lemon juice on top and toss to coat. Serve with a champagne vinaigrette or your preferred dressing.
- To blanch broccolini : Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add broccolini and cook 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop it from cooking.