I decided to shortcut the traditional Hummingbird Cake by simplifying it into a Hummingbird Bundt Cake recipe. This way I could skip cutting and layering a cake and getting away with making a cream cheese glaze instead of frosting.
I’m taking shortcuts wherever I can lately—15 days and counting until the little man arrives. And I can’t wait.
Although, I’ll pass on the exhaustion, the sleepless nights, and all the other new parent traps that come with it. I’m sure if I believe that hard enough all things will be smooth and pleasant, right?
Oh, alright, the reality—he’ll be rested on my hip as I cook, shoot and tethered to me for whatever other madness I signed up for.
- 1 cup Diamond of California chopped Pecans, toasted
Diamond of California
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beatened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium, total 14oz)
- 1 8 oz. can of crushed pineapple, undrained
- Cream cheese glaze
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoon milk
Preparation: Heat oven to 365 degrees F. Cover bundt pan with non-stick spray and dust with flour.
- Place toasted pecans, flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and mix until combined. Add in remaining ingredients and mix until combined. Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake for 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto wire a rack to cool completely before glazing.
- To make glaze: Place cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla in a bowl and mix until combined. Add milk in one tablespoon at a time, mixing after each addition. Add more if necessary to achieve a pouring consistency. Drizzle on top of bundt cake. *Optional: Finish with finely chopped pecans.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Diamond California® Nuts as part of an ongoing ambassadorship. However, all opinions are my own.