Dear Rocky Road, twice I have mixed you in a cookie and twice you have stuck it to me with your weepy-n-seepy melted marshmallow pools. Now, Dear Rocky Road, I got you—and, I got you good. Your marshmallows and salted almonds are now perfectly suspended in dark chocolate for a 3 ingredient, sweet and salty, recipe that took only 20 minutes to make from start to finish.
Remember this Rocky Road Cookie flop. I tried again and froze the marshmallows as suggested to no avail. The marshmallows inside, melted into the cookie dough and the ones on top created a weepy pool once more. Ready to give up on rocky road, I decided—no. Seldom do I ever give up on anything and I’m certainly not going to let a few marshmallows beat me.
With that in mind, I decided to flip my rocky road into: chocolate bark. And holy-mama! I’m so glad I did. These are so good. Nothing special—just tasty and addicting. So much so, that I took the photos and passed them to Matt and his brother to dig into-and then, I had to tell them. . . .”WAIT! Stop eating. I need to re-shoot.” Do you know how well that went over?
Not well. They left me with four pieces-the four you see here.
The upside is I now have a new bribery recipe that does not involve peanut butter or salted caramel. In fact these were so popular, Matt suggested I make this to give away for the holidays.
And you know what? I totally am. This Rocky Road Bark recipe is an easy to make-10 minutes to prep, 10 minutes to chill and then split with a fork. Throw it in some cellophane bags; tie a ribbon on it and-Done!
A few notes:
- Make sure to use salted almonds and not just regular roasted almonds. The salt adds a deeper flavor and gives this bark the perfect sweet and salty combo.
- Your palate your preference: If you’re not a fan of dark chocolate, milk chocolate will work just as well.
Rocky Road Bark
Preparation: Line a 8×8 pan with enough parchment or wax paper for a 1 inch overhang on each side.
- 10oz. Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups salted almonds, chopped or whole
- 1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- Place chocolate in a saucepan over low heat and stir continuously, until chocolate is completely melted. Transfer chocolate to a heat proof bowl and cool for 5 minutes. Add almonds and mini marshmallows and stir to combine. Pour mixture into pan. Use a spatula to smooth out top. (Leave top bare or to finish like the pictures, finely chop ¼ cup of almonds and sprinkle on top). Chill for about 10 minutes until chocolate becomes solid.
- Lift whole bark out of pan by holding onto parchment or wax overhang. Split bark into pieces with a fork.