Rice Krispie Cakes
A while back a friend of mine asked if I would help create a kicked up bake sale item for her daughter’s football cheer team. Keeping my audience in mind, I decided to stick with the classic Rice Krispie square but dress it up with a cake like flare.
Yes, I’m a little late posting this since football ended two months ago, but I finally found the photos. If it isn’t already obvious, I’m not so great about having an organized system for storing my photos.
I’m keeping this post super short, because I have preschool homework to do with my little guy. We are crafting 30 handmade Valentine’s card. The weird thing is we aren’t allowed to attach any candy, trinkets or any sort of treats with it. What happened to being able to pass out candy with the cards?
I guess the upside is all that stuff I loaded up on in anticipation of making treat bags will now have to be consumed by me.
A few notes:
- Rice Krispie cake can be fully assembled two days in advance and kept refrigerated.
- I used dark chocolate for the recipe, but feel free to change it out for semi or milk chocolate to suit your taste.
Rice Krispie Cake Squares
Preparation: Lightly cover 11×13 pan with bake spray Ingredients:
Vanilla Rice Krispie Layer
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup dry white cake mix
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups of Rice Krispies
Chocoloate Rice Krispie Layer
- 2 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 cups of Cocoa Rice Krispies
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon jimmies
- 2 tablespoons nonpareils
- To make vanilla layer: Place marshmallows, butter, dry cake mix and vanilla extract in a non-stick pan and melt over low heat. Stir to combine. Quickly add Rice Krispies and stir to combine. Set aside.
- To make chocolate layer: Place marshmallows, butter and chocolate chips in a non-stick pan and melt over low heat. Stir to combine. Quickly add Cocoa Rice Krispies and stir to combine.
- Press half of vanilla mixture onto the bottom of a11x13 pan. Press chocolate mixture on top and then press remaining vanilla mixture on top of chocolate layer. Set aside for 20 minutes until rice krispie cake is cooled and set. Lightly cover a knife with bake spray and cut to desired size.
- Place chocolate and butter in a sauce pan over low heat and stir until melted and combined. Pour chocolate over squares and then sprinkle with jimmies and nonpareils.