Here’s the banana French Toast that I mentioned last week. Any banana bread will work, but I used my Toasted Pecan and Coconut Banana Bread recipe from here. And I traded in the maple syrup for a strawberry sauce and honey whipped cream.
This was Matt’s Valentine’s breakfast. I’m not sure it was the kind of big hit that I wanted it to be, but then again he is very much a traditionalist with his food, so whipped cream on French toast with strawberries—well, he ate it. Let me preface that with—this probably goes against every food blogging rule, but so be it—when I say he ate it, he did one bite.
Then he asked for a second plate with just the French toast and maple syrup. The upside, he loved the banana bread French Toast. As for me and the little guy, we loved it with strawberry sauce. Although the little guy skipped the honey whipped cream—gah! Sometimes I think my neighbors eat more of my baking than my family. Actually, I’m pretty sure they do.
But I’m hopeful with the new one on the way—maybe he will get my sweet tooth. Fingers crossed!!
Banana Bread French Toast with Strawberry Sauce & Honey Whipped Cream
Yield: Servings 8
Banana Bread French Toast
- 8 slices of banana bread
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Cinnamon
- 16 oz. strawberries, hulled; divided use
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided use
- 4 teaspoon lemon juice, divided use
- 3 tablespoons water
Honey Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioner sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ cup honey
To make strawberry sauce:
- Evenly divide strawberries into two bowls. Set one bowl aside, while halving and quartering strawberries from the other. Place cut strawberries in a sauce pan with 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until strawberries soften, (not mushy). Transfer to a bowl.
- Place remaining strawberries, 3 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoon lemon juice and water in a blender and puree. Transfer mixture to a saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Continue to boil until mixture thickens to syrup consistency. (If needed, transfer mixture back to blender for a final puree so syrup is smooth). Strain if needed. Set aside to cool slightly.
To make honey whipped cream:
- Place heavy cream and sugars in a chilled bowl, using a hand mixer on medium-high beat until thickened. Add in honey and beat until stiff peaks just form.
To make Banana Bread French Toast:
Preparation: Lightly butter a non-stick griddle over medium high heat.
- Dip banana bread slices in egg mixture; let excess drip off. Place on griddle and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat and serve with strawberry sauce and honey whipped cream.