Mint Chocolate Chip Rocky Road Bars ~ This holiday cookie bar won’t crack or crumble in the mail. In fact the walnut graham cracker bottom will stay nice and crisp while the top remains soft and chewy. Throw in an extra hit of mint chocolate chips for the holidays and you have yourself a new Christmas cookie to add to your repetoire.
These bars are extremely fast and easy to make. Thank goodness for that because in the last month I went from having no job, to looking for a job to starting a job—yeah, life has been hectic. Throw in the family, a non-stop talking, always-on-the-move toddler, the holidays, baking, blogging—and my life “training” has me shedding pounds faster than a feather weight contender.
Needless to say I’m trying to simplify my baking this year. Some of my labor intensive cookies have been nixed from the holiday line-up while fast and easy cookie bars like this have been added.
A few notes:
- If you prefer to have your whole bar chewy, that is without the crisp bottom, drizzle extra honey on top of the walnut graham cracker layer before baking.
- To maintain clean-cut sides make sure to wipe your knife between slices.
- As always, toast your nuts for best flavor extraction and make sure they are completely cool before putting it through a food processor or you’ll end up with nut paste instead of finely ground nuts.
- The bars can be kept tightly covered on the counter for up to 3 days.
Mint Chocolate Chip Rocky Road Bars
Preparation: Heat oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 8×8 pan with bake spray.
Walnut Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 cup crushed graham cracker
- 1/2 cup finely chopped or ground walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon of honey
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Andes mint chocolate chips
- Place all ingredients for the crust in a food processor and pulse 3-4 times in three seconds bursts. Press mixture firmly into pan and bake for 10-12 minutes or until crusts starts to turn golden.
- Combine all topping ingredients in a bowl and then pour over baked crust. Return fully assembled cookie bar to the oven and bake for another 10-12 minutes or until the marshmallow topping topping starts to turn golden.
- Let pan cool completely before cutting.