Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls ~ Word of caution: Use a fork. This is a delectable mess of ooey-gooey goodness.
A mash up of favorites, I decided to combine two flavors I love, chocolate and cinnamon into one favorite breakfast treat.
The basis of the recipe is an adaptation of Fine Cooking’s Cinnamon Roll that I made previously, but with a few more tweaks this time around. I wasn’t sure if all the spices along with the chocolate would be too busy, so I decided to omit the cloves and allspice. I did add a little nutmeg to the cinnamon and then traded in the springform pan for a muffin pan. I didn’t have any unsalted butter, so I used regular butter and omitted the salt.
The result . . . this is now the only way my family wants their cinnamon roll.
A few notes:
- For a fluffier cinnamon roll, let your rolls rest in the muffin holes for twenty minutes prior to baking.
- For a less spiced flavor, omit the nutmeg.
- Click here for the how-to pictures to making the dough for this cinnamon roll.
- These Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls will keep for up to three days in an airtight container on the counter.
- Random Note: Don’t forget to enter my Zoku Quick Pop Maker Give-away!
Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls
Yields 14 rolls Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffins holes or a 9 inch springform pan with bake spray.
- ¾ cups cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- ¼ sugar
- 4 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 9 oz unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 ground nutmeg
- ¾ cups chocolate chips
- ½ cup powder sugar
- 5 tablespoon whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla powder or vanilla extract
1. Combine cottage cheese, buttermilk, sugar, melted butter and vanilla. Process until smooth, approximately 10 seconds.
2. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda and pulse in short bursts just until the dough clumps together.
3. Lightly flour your surface and place dough on top. Knead with the heel of your hand 4-5 times. With a rolling pin, roll the dough into 12×15 inch rectangle.
1. Brush the dough with the melted butter, leaving ½ inch border unbuttered around the edges.
2. In a bowl combine all filling ingredients.
3. Sprinkle the mixture over the buttered area. Pat flat and chocolate chips on top. 4. Starting at a long edge roll up the dough jelly roll style. Pinch the seams and leave the ends open.
5. Cut 12 equal pieces. Set pieces cut side up, in the prepared pan. Don’t worry about the small gaps.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes.
1. In a bowl whisk all ingredients until smooth and pouring consistency.
2. Drizzle over Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls and serve.
Lauren @ Crave. Indulge. Satisfy. says
YUM! These sound amazing. Cinnamon rolls are one of my favorite breakfast treats, and the addition of chocolate chips makes them look delicious!
Wow, this dough looks a lot like the one I used for my Raspberry Cottage Cheese danishes, which I just posted today here http://buttercreambarbie.blogspot.com/2010/08/raspberry-cottage-cheese-danishes.html
great job and pIcture PERFECT!
Oooh! Chocolate Chips in my cinnamon roll! That’s like combining two of my favorite mall snacks…chocolate chip cookie or cinnabon? Looks delish.
Chocolate chips and cinnamon – that’s brilliant. Love it.
Amy @ Blowout Party! says
The perfect combination! I soooo can’t wait to make these!
I love a good cinnamon roll. I am so curious about the cottage cheese. I may have to make these to take the mystery out of them! Looks delicious!
Love cinnamon rolls but I’ve never had chocolate chips in them. I think I must try these! They look super tasty.
Rhonda (thedaintybaker) says
yum they look great!! just what i need with my tea right now!
Love your recipe! Can you replace the cottage cheese in this recipe? I must give this a try – especially the combo on chocolate and cinnamon.
Thanks and happy baking!
What a treat! Love this recipe and of course your photos!
Oh you are bad. But in such a good way. I want these for breakfast every day for the rest of my life!
These look amazing. I love chocolate and cinnamon together
And here I thought cinnamon rolls couldn’t get any better. Silly me. Chocolate always makes everything better 🙂
Oh my gosh, this look delicious! And so beautiful! Your photographs are gorgeous.
I’ve recently launched my own blog, I’d love for you to check it out and let me know what you think 🙂 http://www.prettygoodfood.com
Thanks, and Happy Cooking!!!
Angie's Recipes says
Breakfast time here…how wonderful would that be having a couple of your cinnamon rolls!
Oh man – all this goodness should not be allowed in one treat. This looks heavenly!
looks divine and so tasty! I looove chocolate
Shaya Haze says
What a fantastic idea. I am not totally sure if that is true, but who knows. Would you be generous enough to write another post, but from the opposite side of the fence.