Grab a drink in one hand and a pastry bag in the another, we are going to hit this Sandra Lee style. Objections? I don’t think so. Sometimes everyone needs a fancy semi-homemade treat. And if we are going to do it, lets do it with some ready-made brownie bites for the base, ready-made caramel for a filling and homemade brûlée meringue to finish.
See—easy. You can do this while sipping on something. Well, maybe between sips—might be safer with the torch and all.
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 dozen 1.5-inch brownie bites
- 6 oz. caramel dip
- Combine egg whites and sugar in a stand mixer bowl and place it over (not on) simmering water. Heat mixture to 160 degrees F while whisking constantly.
- Transfer mixer bowl to stand mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment and beat on medium high speed (speed 8 on a KitchenAid stand mixer) until mixture cools, doubles in volume and forms stiff peaks; about 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a pastry bag and pipe it along the perimeter of brownie. Torch meringue and fill center with caramel.
A few notes:
- For the torching the meringue, save yourself some money and just buy a Bernzomatic propane torch instead of one of these kitchen torches you usually see in William Sonoma and Sur la Table. They can be twice the price and aren’t nearly as strong.
- For the caramel filling I used Marzetti's Old Fashioned Caramel Dip. It's much creamier and thicker than regular caramel sauce.