If you tuned in last Saturday, then you know I took the Surprise-Inside Cakes class on Craftsy from Amanda Rettke of I Am Baker to learn how to make her signature surprise-inside heart cake. Well, here is the reveal with an Easter spin on it.
As mentioned before, not perfect but a good start for my first time.
I used box cake mix as Amanda recommended, and chilled it, but I think next time I will use a heavier crumbed cake that’s closer to a pound cake crumb to prevent it from crumbling while carving. Other than that, this is such a fun cake to make and people love it! And if you haven’t noticed, I’m still on my pastel kick, but it’s appropriate for an Easter dessert.
The only recipe I have for you today, is my new Vanilla Malt Buttercream. It’s incredibly easy to make and of course, deliciously awesome.
Don’t forget, the giveaway for this Craftsy class with Amanda is still going on, so hit the jump here to enter.
Vanilla Malt Buttercream
- 4 sticks butter, softened (not unsalted)
- 6 - 8 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 cup malt powder, dissolved in 1/4 cup hot milk
- 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Place butter in stand mixer bowl, fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until butter is light and fluffy. Slowly add 6 cups of confectioner sugar and beat on low until combined. Beat the dissolved malt powder into buttercream, then in vanilla extract. (Add in remaining confectioner sugar 1 cup at a time (to achieve desired consistency) and beat on medium speed.