Tis the season for all things peppermint. And truffles. And chocolate. Am I so predictable or what? You guys know I love truffles and since it is high holiday season and gift giving is upon us, I wanted to share an easy truffle recipe that you can make quickly. What’s not to like about a deep smooth dark chocolate wrapped in crushed Peppermint Andes Candy for a cool mint flavor and a bit of candy crunch. Throw it in some foil liners, and then place it into a box with ribbon and done-gift giving made fast and easy.
If you are a regular reader than you know today is when I would post a bark recipe for the Bark Holiday Series, but I . . . lost track of the week! This whole holiday bit of cooking for a few days messed me up-bad. But hey, luckily, this truffle recipe is just as easy to make as bark. The bark will be back next week.
That’s it today. Short and sweet, as I know many of you are in the midst of a holiday cook-a-thon for your family and friends.
A few notes:
- I did not add any peppermint extract in the recipe since the Peppermint Andes provides all the flavor the truffles need. Peppermint Andes can be purchased at Target or online at Amazon. It’s sold as little squares or crushed and ready to go for baking.
- Your palate, your preference-if you are not a fan of dark chocolate, try semi-sweet or milk chocolate instead.
- The gold liners are from Wilton and the white candy box can be purchased at Shop Sweet Lulu.
Peppermint Crunch Truffles
- 11 oz dark chocolate (65% cacao)
- 8 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups of crushed Peppermint Andes
- Place chocolate and heavy cream in a heat-proof bowl over (not directly on) simmering water. Let chocolate and cream heat up for 3 minutes untouched. After 3 minutes whisk mixture until fully incorporated. Remove bowl from heat and let cool for 20-30 minutes. Pour finished mixture into a flat casserole pan. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, about 3 hours.
- Remove chilled truffle mixture. Using a melon-baller, scoop out chocolate rounds. Finish forming truffles by hand and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll truffles in crushed Peppermint Andes. Give covered truffles one last roll between the palms of your hand to gently press the crushed Peppermint Andes into the truffle.