This easy panna cotta recipe is one of those desserts you can throw together in a matter of minutes—minutes. That leaves a lot of time to do a lot of other things. Like clean up a carton of eggs that fell on your kitchen floor, start dinner over because you burnt it while cleaning up the spilled eggs.
Now, I’m naturally a clumsy person, but overloaded and pressed for time, I’m like a klutz in overdrive. It’s seriously amazing that I haven’t had a worst kitchen disaster than spills and minor burns.
Back to the food . . . panna cotta is seriously one of the easiest desserts you can make. For this version I kept it simple by keeping the base a vanilla flavor and simply topping it off with a strawberry syrup and some whipped cream.
Vanilla Panna Cotta with Strawberry Sauce
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon gelatin
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 oz. strawberries, hulled
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice, divided use
- 1-2 tablespoons water
To make Panna Cotta
- Pour 1/2 cup of milk into a bowl. Evenly sprinkle gelatin on top; set aside for two minutes.
- Place the cream and sugar into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer (look for small bubbles along the edge of the pan). Add in vanilla; stir to combine. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve. Pour the gelatin mixture into the cream mixture and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved (mixture should be free of grit when rubbed between two fingers).
- Pour into stemmed glasses or ramekins. Chill for at least 2 hours or loosely cover and chill overnight. Finish with strawberry sauce and whipped cream.
To make strawberry sauce:
- Place strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon water (more if needed to thin out syrup) in a blender and puree. Transfer mixture to a saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Continue to boil until mixture thickens to syrup consistency. (If needed, transfer mixture back to blender for a final puree so syrup is smooth). Strain if needed. Set aside to cool.