Chocolate Butterscotch No-Bake Cheesecake
Chocolate Butterscotch No-Bake Cheesecake ~ Philly cream cheese gone wild with some butterscotch, chocolate and crushed chocolate malt balls.
Can you tell I love cheesecake yet? Yes, it’s one of my favorite desserts. I love it for the taste and its versatility for being something that can easily go from simple to decadent.
Right now, I’m stuck on a run of no-bake cheesecakes. This one came popping into my head late at night while I was running through my Christmas cookie list. Yep, I’m already planning and mapping out Christmas baked goods, crafts and presents.
Simple in design all you need for this recipe is some butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, a handful of Whoppers and some gelatin. Don’t let that last mentioned ingredient scare you. Gelatin is very easy to work with.
Plain gelatin can be found at your local grocer in the Jell-O isle. The pre-dominant brand on the west coast is Knox. Sorry, I’m not sure what it would be elsewhere.
The addition of the melted butterscotch and chocolate sauce makes this recipe a bit looser than my Oreo Cookies and Cream No Bake Cheesecake, so the gelatin will help to set this no-bake cheesecake.
A few notes:
- You can use an 8 inch springform pan or to make the mini cheesecakes as seen in the photo, you will need Chicago Metallic’s Mini Cheesecake Pan.
- You can shortcut this recipe even more by plating your no-bake cheesecake and then pouring the butterscotch and chocolate sauce on top rather than mixing it in. This version will also allow you to bypass the gelatin.
- For best results refrigerate overnight.
- Keep refrigerated up until 20 minutes before serving.
- You know how OCD I can be, so I promise only one more variation I want to share of these no-bake cheesecakes then I will ease up on them.
Chocolate Butterscotch No-Bake Cheesecake
Makes 16 mini 2 inch cheesecakes or one 9 inch cheesecake.
1 1/2 cup crushed graham cracker
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
7 tablespoon unsalted butter(melted)
¼ cup water
1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
2 ¼ cups heavy cream
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/3 cup Whoppers, pulverize
¼ cup chocolate chips
¼ butterscotch chips
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Combine graham cracker crumbs with sugar.
2. Add melted butter and blend until combined.
3. Press into pan. Set aside
1. Bring 1 inch of water to a simmer in the bottom of a double boiler. Sprinkle water over gelatin and let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Using a spatula scrape the softened gelatin and place it into the top of the double boiler. Set it over simmering water and heat until the mixture becomes liquid. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Crush Whoppers in a Ziploc or place Whoppers in a food processor and pulse for 5 times with 2 second intervals. Set aside.
4. Heat chocolate in the microwave for 10-20 seconds (times vary from microwave to microwavel) or until melted. Whisk to make sure all pieces are melted. Set aside.
5. Place butterscotch chips and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream in a small bowl and heat in microwave for 10-20 seconds or until melted. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
6. Beat heavy cream until medium peaks form. Set aside.
7. Add cream cheese, sugar, salt, vanilla powder, lemon juice to a bowl and beat with a paddle attachment until smooth (approximately 3-5 mins). If you do not have a stand mixer or a paddle attachment a hand beater will work as well, but will take twice as long to achieve a smooth consistency.
8. Add a ½ cup of cream mixture to the gelatin and fold with a rubber spatula. Return the gelatin mixture to the remaining cream cheese mixture and fold together.
9. Fold in crushed Whoppers until combined. Gently add butterscotch and chocolate sauce by drizzling sauce into mixture and folding only until mixture shows streaks of butterscrotch and chocolate sauce. * Do not over mix or your cheesecake will be brown in color, rather than streaked.*
10. Fill chosen pan with a slight mound at the center, as the cheesecake will become slightly sunken at the center.
11. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours to set or overnight for best results.
12. Remove from refrigerator and smooth top to level with edge. Serve with whipping cream and garnish with whopper.