Apple Butter Cake

Despite what you’ve been told or taught summer is over and fall is here. With that I’m sharing my first official fall dessert Apple Butter Cake. The first of September means no more bikini diet, so forget meals made of leafy green bits, I’m loading up my plate with things that will enhance my winter padding – things like two or six servings of cake and lots of cookies.

Apple Butter Cake

Are you with me? Let me convince you with this Apple Butter Cake. The cake has all the fall seasoning you would expect: cinnamon, nutmeg, a little bit of cloves. Take those spices and mix it in a with a tender cake crumb enhanced with apple butter, sprinkled with shredded apples and then ripple all that with an apple butter cheesecake layer.

Yeah, I died too. But pick yourself up because we have lots of holiday baking to do, friends. So eat and lets get baking!

• For the apples I used Golden Delicious.
  • For the glaze I used milk to make it pourable, if you have a dairy allergy water or lemon juice will also work.
  • Don’t skip sifting the confectioner sugar when making the glaze or you will end up with lumps in your glaze like I did (look closely and you will see them).

Hit the jump over to Baked By Rachel as I’m sharing the recipe over there today.

24 Responses to “Apple Butter Cake”

Annie @ Annie's Cooking Lab — September 17, 2012 @ 11:53 am

Wow, that looks amazing! I love apple flavored baked goods, the apple butter layer is brilliant!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — September 17, 2012 @ 12:42 pm

Thank you so much for putting together such a stunning dessert for the party!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — September 17, 2012 @ 12:46 pm

So beautiful! This looks absolutely delicious — a wonderful way to welcome fall apples! :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — September 17, 2012 @ 12:55 pm

The pictures in this post are absolutely beautiful. They definitely go along with the Fall theme of the recipe.

DessertForTwo — September 17, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

Gorgeous! I love Fall desserts :)

Annie @ Annie's Noms — September 17, 2012 @ 2:21 pm

You’ve definitely convinced me summer is over with this :) Heading over to Baked by Rachel to get the recipe now! Yay to no more bikini’s! :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks — September 17, 2012 @ 5:01 pm

I love this cake of yours! I just posted an apple bundt cake yesterday and not sure what it’s like up in the O.C. but in San Diego it was NOT fall all weekend…it was like 100F at the coast and so hot. But I still ate my apple fall cake anyway. Lol

Lisa B — September 17, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

This looks so yummy and I am anxious to make it, but there are some mistakes and information missing. Butter is listed twice in ingredients…no mention of sugar in the mixing process…when do you fold in the apples?…and at what point do you layer in the cheesecake filling? I am hanging on to summer, but still want to eat this! Thank you for posting and thank you in advance for fixing the errors. Love your blog!

• Naomi replied: — September 18th, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

Lisa-Thanks for letting me know-late night work at its worse. I’ve revised the recipe over at Baked by Rachel.

Amanda @ The Dormestic Goddess — September 17, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

The shots turned out beautifully, Naomi! And I’m sure the cake tasted even better than these photos looked. There’s nothing better than warm baked goods in the fall.

Barbara | Creative Culinary — September 17, 2012 @ 10:28 pm

You are not allowed to complain about being blocked or light ever again…you hear me? This is proof positive that those are but a slight bump in your road. GORGEOUS!

Jenny @ BAKE — September 18, 2012 @ 12:39 pm

This is gorgeous! I love the ripple through out it!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — September 18, 2012 @ 5:58 pm

Happy that the pictures came out well! It’s beautiful. Going to check it out!

Ann P. — September 19, 2012 @ 12:26 am

I love this cake! Apple butter is one of my absolute FAVORITE things (on waffles–DIVINE!), so I am definitely a fan of this recipe. I think it looks beautiful, even with the lumps in the icing!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — September 19, 2012 @ 5:14 am

I love apple cakes; the cheesecake filling sounds like pure heaven!

Gina — September 19, 2012 @ 4:52 pm

Very beautiful and looks delicious. It is also a good way to use apples. Beautiful photos. Gina

Reem | Simply Reem — September 19, 2012 @ 5:33 pm

Beautiful!!!!
    Trust me I am so done with Green Smoothies and juices…LOL
    Time to enjoy life, and flaunt fully covered body…

This looks absolutely gorgeous, b/w I just bought apple butter to make a cake too…

Andrea — September 20, 2012 @ 1:48 am

Hi there!

I was just looking through cookbooks to find a good apple cake to make. This looks great!

I’ve nominated you for the One Lovely Blog AWard! Here’s the link:

Best Wishes,

Andrea @ Barbells and Buttercream

Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats — September 21, 2012 @ 5:40 am

This is absolutely stunning and looking delish too! My dad loves treats with Apples and bet he has not had an Apple Butter Cake just yet. My jaw did drop wide open while reading the description, and thank god for tissue in hand, cause I could feel myself drooling. Hehe.. Have a great weekend ahead!! Cheers~

Brooke (Baking with Basil) — September 21, 2012 @ 6:13 am

I love everything about this cake!! Great shots!

Jackie — March 26, 2013 @ 11:57 pm

Hi

Can you recommend a good brand of apple butter.