You know what I love about a skillet chocolate chip cookie, other than its large size? I like it because it’s easy to make—no dropping dough, no standing over a counter waiting to bake one sheet after another. Nope. Just one large pan in one shot.
But the best part of this skillet chocolate chip cookie, or any skillet cookie for that matter, is having it a la mode, Baby!
If you follow me on Twitter, then you know I declared, “Skinny is out. Rich and decadence is in, eat-up!” Well lets just agree that is the new trend going into the holiday season, okay.
Yes, can you believe it—I’m already gearing up for the holidays. September 1st marks the beginning of high-baking season in my home, so expect lots of stuff that will test the stretch-y fibers of your jeggings.
Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
Yield: Makes one 12 inch cookie
- 1 ¾ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 ¼ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Adjust oven rack to middle position. Lightly butter pan.
- Whisk together flour and baking soda; set aside.
- Heat 10 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat until melted about 2 minutes. Continue stirring for another 1-3 minutes until brown and nutty in aroma. Remove from heat. Pour heated butter through a sieve into a heat proof bowl. Stir in remaining butter until completely melted.Add all three sugars, salt and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully combined. Add egg and egg yolk, whisk until mixture is smooth and no sugar lumps remains, for about 30 seconds.
- Let mixture stand for 3 minutes then whisk for another 30 seconds.
- Repeat step four 2 more times until mixture is thick and shiny.
- Stir in flour until combined. Stir in chocolate chips until combined.
- Press cookie dough mixture into pan. Bake for about 15-17 minutes or until golden brown and still puffy.
A few notes:
- To make the skillet chocolate chip cookie as you see in the first picture, I used a 12 inch Lodge cast iron skillet. To make these skillet chocolate chip cookies like the second picture (as individual servings), use 4 inch pie pans.
- The recipe is adapted from Cook's Illustrated's Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie. It's not quite as chewy in the pans, but they are killer straight out of the oven and hot and served a la mode
- I should also mention they are well worth making in the drop form as well. Click here the original recipe adaptation of that drop form.
Adpated from: Cooks Illustrated 2009 Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie