Are you ready for the epic-ness (or jaw breaking badness) of this veggie sandwich. Sure I stacked it a bit high, but look at that towering feat of veggie goodness.
In fact I would have added another layer of crispy beets and carrots, but I ran out of time.
That’s right, I ran out of time, because this sandwich is going toe-to-toe against Matt’s The Big “Big” Breakfast Sandwich. As many of you know, my husband is also a food blogger, so we are always spit-balling ideas and recipes, but at some point we usually part ways.
With that, we thought it would be fun to do a Blogger vs. Blogger challenge that resulted in a stand-off of Meatless Monday vs. Meaty Monday. The only parameter we each had to follow was to create a breakfast sandwich, and if you check out Matt’s post, you’ll see there are two identical components: crepe-thin omelette (I added a few more things to mine) and the fried egg that neither of us could skip.
But from there, we go our separate ways. I love his for its unapologetic layering of calories stacked with Jenga-like care. As for mine, I’m not a vegetarian, but I just don’t eat meat all that much and I prefer my veggie patties in the morning over meat-filled dishes. But knowing his was going to be stacked to ridiculous heights, I couldn’t let mine fail to meet the same task.
Here’s where the fun comes in—we would love to hear which one you guys prefer: The meaty madness of the The Big “Big” Breakfast Sandwich or the health-i-fied version (kinda) of The Epic Veggie Breakfast Sandwich. Leave a comment below and tell me what you think.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon leeks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 veggie pattie
- 1 slice extra sharp cheddar cheese or your preferred cheese
- 1 fried egg
- 1 roasted cauliflower slice (see notes for roasting)
- 3-4 slices avocado
- 1 handful of micro greens
- 1 roll
- To make omelette: Cover a large 10-inch pan with non-stick spray and place over medium heat. Combine and whisk all ingredients in a bowl. Pour mixture into pan and using the handle swirl it until the mixture completely covers the bottom of the pan. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, or until omelette is fully cooked through. (You should not have to flip this since the omelette should be paper-thin from using a large pan.) Remove from heat and fold two times to create a four-layer triangle.
- Assembly: Place folded omelette onto bottom of roll. Place 1 piece of cheese on top of veggie patty and melt either in microwave or under broiler, once melted, place it on top of the omelette. Layer with fried egg, cauliflower slice, avocado, micro greens and top of roll. Serve immediately.
*To roast cauliflower: Trim cauliflower and cut cauliflower into ¼ inch slices. Place slices on a bake sheet and drizzle olive oil on top. Transfer to an oven heated to 425 degrees and roast for about 20 minutes or until slices are browned around the edges.