Oh, gawd, Snickers coffee cake? Yes, go ahead, unbutton your pants. I’ll wait. Okay, think traditional coffee cake, you know the kind with a heavier crumb and all nutty with pecans, spiced with cinnamon and crunchy with a streusel topping – well here’s where I part ways with the classic: the streusel. I kept the crunchy and upped the traditional brown sugar pecan streusel with a Snickers streusel. Since my heavy hand is never happy, I added a salted caramel glaze to the topping as well.
Lace up your running shoes (or not) because this one is a caloric whopper! Just don’t say I didn’t warn you about how rich this is.
Snickers Coffee Cake with a Salted Caramel Glaze
- 11/4 plus 1/4 cup flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (or more for preference)
- 2 cups chopped Snickers ( about 4 regular size candy bars)
- 1 ½ cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- ½ cup toffee
- 6 tablespoons butter, cold
- 2 sticks of butter, softened
- 2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Salted Caramel Glaze
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoon butter
- ¼ c heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons of milk
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover an angel food cake pan with bake spray and a light dusting of flour.
To make Snickers Streusel
(Make sure to read the notes from below before starting)
- Preparation: Heat oven 350 degrees and cover bake sheet with baking spray.
- Place 1 cup of flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, Snickers, pecans, and toffee in a bowl and toss to combine. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut butter into mixture until it streusel mixture resembles small peas.
- Sprinkle streusel mixture out onto bake sheet. Bake for 5-7 minutes and remove from the oven. The mixture will most likely appear melted into one large mass.
- Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoon of flour on top and working with a bench scraper, scrape, fold and chop mixture on top of itself into little pea size pieces. Set aside to cool. Reserve ½ cup of mixture and set aside for cake filling.
*If mixture is too clumpy then return pan to oven and bake for another 5-7 minutes and repeat step 4.
To make coffee cake
- Place sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium speed and cream ingredients until light and fluffy. Add eggs in one at a time and mix until combined. Add vanilla extract and mix until combined. Add in sour cream and mix until combined. Turn off mixer.
- Place milk in a sauce pan and heat until small bubbles appear along the edge of the pan; set aside Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Using a wooden spoon or sturdy spatula add the dry mixture and milk into the wet mixture in three addition, starting with dry mixture and ending with the milk.
- Pour a 1/3 of batter into prepared pan and sprinkle reserved Snickers Streusel on top. Pour remaining batter over streusel. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 50 minutes or until inserted cake tester is clean of crumbs when removed.
To make salted caramel glaze
- Place sugar and water into a saucepan over medium low heat and stir until sugar has dissolved. Dissolve any crystals forming on the side with a wet pastry brush.
- Once sugar has dissolved increase heat to high.
- At this point do not stir the mixture directly. Now and then, using the handle, give the pot a swirl to keep the mixture moving. The mixture will start to bubble after a minute or so.
- After 3-4 minutes the mixture will turn from a light amber to medium amber and then finally to a dark reddish brown color. Once the mixture starts to smoke, add the butter and heavy cream. The mixture will bubble wildly. Whisk to combine (bubbles will subside upon cooling).
- Add in powder sugar and stir to combine. Add milk in and stir to combine.
Pour salted caramel glaze on cooled cake and quickly sprinkle Snickers Streusel on top and press into glaze lightly.
A few notes:
- Admittedly, the Snickers streusel does take some “extra” work. You’ve been warned! With that in mind here are two options:
Less work version- Place all the streusel ingredients in a bowl and combine it until the mixture comes together forming small peas size crumbles. Reserve 1/2 cup and set aside the remaining. Pour 1/3 of the batter into the pan and sprinkle 1/2 cup Snickers Streusel on top, and then pour remaining batter on top. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove cake and sprinkle the remaining streusel on top. Return cake to oven and finish baking the cake with the Snickers streusel for the last ten minutes. The Snickers Coffee cake is ready when an inserted cake tester is removed clean of crumbs. Remove it from the oven and cool completely. Pour the salted caramel glaze on top. Keep in mind the streusel may come together in little masses here and there from the melted chocolate. It will not stay perfectly crumbled like a traditional streusel
“Extra” work version: Follow the recipe as written. Like I said it’s a little more work because the streusel is baked alone as one thin layer rather than with the cake and therefore tends to melt down onto the bake sheet into one large mass. But follow the directions and you will have yourself a perfectly crumbly and crunchy streusel (and if you get adventurous - throw in some oats, make a few tweaks and you’ll have some Snickers granola).
- If you are wondering why I reversed the layering order of streusel and the glaze, I did so to preserve every bit of crunchy topping while still being able to heavily pour on the salted caramel glaze rather than just drizzle it on top of the Snickers streusel.
- I used roasted and salted pecans. If you are only able to find raw pecans than make sure you roast and chop them before using (roasting any nut will bring out the flavor).
- For a quick step-by-step guide on how to make caramel sauce click here.
Averie @ Averie Cooks says
I think you should open up a bakery – in all your spare time, ya know. And start selling this stuff! Between your recipes and your photography, another droolworthy recipe, Naomi!
Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen says
Seriously, how do you come up with these things?! You had me at Snickers streusel!
Catalina @ Cake with Love says
OMG I declare this the kmost amazing coffee cake I have ever seen!
Lauren at Keep It Sweet says
OMG this takes coffee cake to a whole new level, amazing!
Hahahahahaha! I love it when I’m prewarned to unbutton my pants! You’re so funny! This sounds amazing!
Ann P. says
SO decadent! I love the salted caramel glaze. Perfect combo for the peanuts + caramel in the snicker’s. Gorgeous shots, too! I love the large servings, too! This cake clearly belongs in my household, hahaha
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says
I am SO making this like…this week!! AWESOME!
The second I saw this all over Pinterest I knew it had to be yours. Genius!
Your stuff always looks decadent! I’ve on a salted caramel craze lately!
This looks amazing! and snickers streusel is genius 🙂 Bookmarked!
That is just divine! I wouldn’t mind an extra workout for a huge slice of this gooodie! 🙂
Good lord, thanks for the warning. That looks SO good! After a horrible baking incident today (self-saucing chocolate cake… shudder), I think I’m going to hold off on turning on the oven for awhile. But your recipes will be the first I turn to!
Your styling/props/photography is delicious…
Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats says
OMG! Okay I have unbutton my jeans, so may I have a slice now? This is simply heaven Naomi! What a perfect way for me to feast with my eyes and to move to the weekend in a sweet note. Cheers, Jo
Karen | Citrus and Candy says
You are an evil genius temptress. That is all.
Karen – LOL. I might have been called worst at some time or another, I’ll take your comment as a compliment! 🙂
Seriously good stuff, Naomi! Love snickers Anything. And salted caramel everything. Stunning styling too!
You had me at snickers! This sounds amazing! Pinning it!
Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says
Jenny @ BAKE says
Gorgeous photo! What an amazing cake idea!
Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says
You can never go wrong with a little extra salted caramel! Amazing styling and I have I mentioned how much I love those platters!!
Hello, so the cake is cooling, the streusel looks great, the kitchen is a mess & I’m just reading the instructions for the glaze…the word coffee then hits me & I think oh no! I left out the coffee….there is no coffee listed in the ingredients or do I need an eye sight test 😉
VImax Detox Review says
Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like
you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could
do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is great blog.
An excellent read. I will certainly be back.
Pure Garcinia Cambogia Review says
Thank you for another informative site. The place else may just I am
getting that type of information written in such a perfect approach?
I’ve a challenge that I am just now working on, and I’ve been on the glance
out for such info.