Skinny chicken salad?? Savory and skinny food? Yes, it’s true and no one has hijacked this blog. It’s me in all my butter and cream loving glory posting skinny food. Let’s be clear though. I don’t seek skinny food. If it happens to rub against me and tastes great—okay.
It’s Friday and we are off beat with this post. But if you read this blog with any regularity, you know I’ll go and throw savory in here once and a while. Today’s skinny chicken salad is a riff on a tuna salad I usually get at a health food store near my work.
I can’t get my family near tuna salad, so it’s been flipped to what you see here. Of course you can just make this straight up with mayonnaise, but what I really like about it is the veganaise (eggless)—it makes the chicken salad. Trust me on this. As for all the other stuff, it’s a package of broccoli slaw, a mixture of shredded broccoli, cabbage and carrots with some cilantro that I threw in for some added kick—take it or leave it. But really it’s so much better with all those crispy veggies—if you really want to skip all of that, can I suggest that you keep at least the cilantro? Try it—you’ll see.
- 1 cups shredded chicken breast
- 1/2 cup broccoli slaw
- 1 tablespoon low-fat veganaise
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (julienne or not)
- juice of quarter of a lime
- 1 slice extra sharp cheddar
- Place all ingredients but in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Assemble sandwich and lightly spread veganaise on the outside of each bread slice. Place sandwich in a non-stick pan and grill until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.