Apparently it’s breakfast week here on the blog. Or at least that’s what is tending, so today I’m sharing a power breakfast that you can adapt any which way you please.
For me, I absolutely love the the flavor of mushrooms and leeks together. Of course I had to throw in spinach for some healthy greens. I kept this meatless, but next time I’m going to throw some sausage in for an extra protein boost.
In fact I would have here, but before I could get to it Matt already used it in one of his dishes. That’s what happens when there are two food bloggers in the house. I just hope I don’t have to resort to hiding ingredients! Although I’m thinking his and hers refrigerators would be pretty awesome.
And don’t worry, next week we’ll be back to our regular programming of sugary sweets. Have a great weekend and see you then.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, reserving one 1 tablespoon for brushing
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups. cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cups leeks
- 6 cups baby spinach (6oz)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices crusty bread
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup gruyere cheese
Preparation: Brush one tablespoon into a 12 inch oven safe pan (or a 9x13 baking dish).
- Heat olive oil in a large skilled over medium-high heat. Stir in onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and leeks and cook until they are softened, about about 3 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Arrange bread slices in a single layer in the skillet. Layer bread with mushroom mixture. Crack an eggs on top. Season with salt and pepper. Pour milk evenly over top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until eggs are set, about 25-30 minutes.