I’m not a huge fan of cake pops, but brownie pops—I’m a fan. And an even bigger fan of peppermint brownie pops that are holiday perfect in flavor.
I realize there are a ton of Christmas brownie pops and these are almost too simple in design to categorize them as such. But sometimes I like things simple and fuss-free, especially since I’m not too crafty when it comes to cute food.
And to clarify these brownie pops require no crumbing, no rolling and no binding with frosting—just bake, insert stick and dip. Which makes them perfect for me, because I don’t want my brownie crumb smashed and made gummy with frosting. I know I’m in the minority with that description, but I’m particular about texture.
So if you are anything like me, you will definitely enjoy this no-fuss brownie pop recipe and for those of you on the other side–by all means, smash, bind and roll away.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, sifted
- 8 ounces melted butter
- 11/4 cups Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4oz dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted
- 4-5 tablespoons water, warm
- 10 Hershey's Peppermint Kisses, finesly ground
Heat oven to 300 degrees. Grease and lightly flour pan.
To make brownies
- Fit mixer with a whisk attachment, place eggs in the bowl and beat on medium speed until fluffy and light yellow. Add both sugars. Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 8-inch square pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean. Remove pan from oven and cool on a wire rack.
To make chocolate glaze
- Place chocolate and heavy cream in a bowl over simmering water. Let chocolate and cream sit for 2-3 minutes to melt without stirring. Then slowly stir mixture to combine.
- Add powdered sugar and mix to combine.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing after each addition until pouring consistency is reached.
- Set aside and let sauce cool to warm.
- Place Hershey's Peppermint Kisses in a food processor bowl and pulse until finely grounded and crushed; transfer to a shallow bowl.
- Cut brownie into 1 inch squares. Insert popsicle sticks through the center.
- Dip brownie in chocolate and transfer to a wire rack for excess chocolate to drip away. Roll brownie pop in crushed Hershey Peppermint Kisses.
A few notes:
- The sticks used for these brownie pops are actually wooden ice cream spoons.
- This is an Alton Brown's recipe and one of my favoriteS. I made no adaptations to the recipe.
- The brownie pops can be made two days in advance and kept refrigerated. Remove from refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving.
- And off the subject of food--anyone have suggestions for shooting with artificial lights? The photo above was shot at night, and obviously- shot horribly bad. I'm usually a natural light shooter, but I really need some pointers since natural light is limiting with my work schedule.