I know these are untraditionally shaped for this cookie, but I hate it when I box up cookies and they all look like. With that, I always try to make at least a few different shapes and colors to keep my cookie boxes exciting-because like it or not, appearances matter. But what matter more is the taste and these Pecan Sandies have been mixed and baked into a buttery crisp and crumbly cookie that melts in your mouth. For added texture and some embellishing I added a chunky sugar rimming to the edges.
Can someone tell me who has pressed the speed-it-up button on the calendar? How is it that it’s already December 7th? I’m a bit panicked since I don’t have Christmas cards sent, much less written.
I’m sorry to be so brief today, but I need to get cracking on the cards and these cookies boxes for everyone-so see you all tomorrow for the Holiday Bark Series.
A few notes:
- It’s all about the nuts in this cookie, so don’t skip toasting the nuts or you will miss out on a robust and deeply flavored pecan cookie.
- If you don’t have a blender or food processor to make the pecan flour skip step 2 all together and keep the ratios all the same.
- If you want to skip making square shaped cookies for the more traditional round shape ones, chill the dough and pinch off a heaping tablespoon size of dough and roll it into a ball.
Makes 4 dozen 2in cookies | Preparation: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line bake sheets with parchment paper.
- 11/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup all-purpose flour plus (divided use)
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup packed light-brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place pecans on bakesheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 5-7 minutes, tossing nuts half way through for even toasting. Set aside to cool completely.
- Measure out ¼ cup of toasted pecans and place it in a food processor or blender and add two tablespoons of flour to pecans. Pulverize the mixture to a fine grind.
- Pour pecan flour mixture into remaining mixture and whisk to combine; set aside.
- Add melted butter and sugar into a bowl and using a hand held mixer or stand mixer beat until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes on medium high. Add in vanilla and salt and beat to combine. Slowly add in flour and beat on low until just. Add in pecans and using a sturdy spatula or wooden spoon fold in pecans. Transfer dough to refrigerator for 1 hour to chill.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and lightly flour a work surface and roll dough into a square log. Sprinkle and press coarse sugar into all four sides of square log. Cut off 1/4inch thick slices and place on a parchment lined bakesheet 1 inch apart. Bake cookies for about 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees F. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.