Mixed Berry Summer Smoothie ~ From Bikini Killer Cookies to Belt Bust’n Chocolate Bars, I’m kicking the week off with a healthy summer smoothie that’s packed with antioxidant-packed super foods.
I’m not intentionally doing a 180 here, but boysenberry season has just begun here in California. Every year I go crazy stocking up on them. The season is so brief, lasting for less than ninety days I have to get them while I can. Similar in appearance to a blackberry, the boysenberry is distinctly different in taste but packs a similar antioxidant punch.
When you can find them, buy a lot. If someone had sold these to me as Mother Nature’s candy instead of raisins (eww) when I was kid, I would probably have gone the way of Violet Beauregarde—color stained, bloated and floating away from a lack of self control. But instead, the boxes of raisins that mom brown-bagged for school, ended up sprinkled over the playground grass.
As a result, I don’t try to push raisins on my son. Luckily he and I are huge fresh fruit consumers and this is one of our favorite ways to enjoy our daily recommended serving .
Really, can you think of better way to get your healthy fruits than sipping it all in one delicious glass of frosty goodness?
A few notes:
- This recipe is highly adaptable. If any of the berries are not in season in your area, substitute with another berry or just double up any of the other portions.
- Your palate, your preference. Adjust the texture of this summer smoothie to your preference by adding more yogurt for a creamier and thicker smoothie; or for a thinner smoothie add more juice. Any type of yogurt will work so you can easily substitute the vanilla yogurt with non-fat, plain, or sugar-free.
- I make these smoothie year around. During the winter months I use frozen berries since it’s really not worth buying fresh under-ripe berries.
- And hey, check it out—no sugar! Seldom will you find that here on Bakers Royale. Well, I should clarify, that’s no added sugar. The sweetness comes solely from the goodness of the raw ingredients.
Mixed Berry Summer Smoothie
Makes 3 Cups
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup boysenberry
- 1/3 cup strawberries
- 1/3 cup raspberries
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1 large ripe banana
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.