Mini Mixed Berry Pie ~ Time to get your mini on for these Mixed Berry Pies. Petite and portable these are perfect for a picnic or summer BBQ.
This is round two of these Mini Mixed Berry Pie. The first round was a fantastic flop. This time I made sure not to overfill the wells and I added a bottom crust and changed out a full top crust for a lattice one and yay – success!
Okay, so the lattice is not perfect, but who cares because the pies are awesome! It’s not often that I scarf down my baked goods straight from the oven, but this one was an exception. I couldn’t resist the sweet smelling berries and the flaky pie crust.
A few notes:
- You can make this as one large 9-inch pie or you as minis. If you make the mini pies you will need to make two batches of the pie crust. Do not double the recipe!
- Your palate your preference – use any berry combination you prefer or whatever is in season for your area.
- The pies are not actually baked in the cupcake liners. They were placed in the liners afterward for portability.
- 2 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
- 3 oz. blueberries
- 3 oz. raspberries
- 3 oz. blackberries
- ¼ teaspoon of lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1//3 cup sugar
Preparation: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
To make crust:
- Place flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add butter, using a pastry blender or two forks, cut into the flour until mixture resembles coarse meal (or place in a food processor bowl and pulse). Add 5 tablespoons ice water and stir (or pulse until dough comes together). Dough should hold together when squeezed and released. If not, add remaining water, 1 tablespoon at time, until dough does hold when squeezed and released.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Using the heel of your hand and working in small portions smear each part out in one forward motion. Gather portions and form into one ball, divide dough in half and chill for at least 2 hours.
To make filling:
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Lightly cover work surface with flour and turn out dough on to it. Roll out dough to an 1/8 inch in thickness and use a 4-inch round cutter to stamp out rounds. Place rounds in muffin wells. Fill wells ¾ of the way up with filling.
- Using a scalloped pastry cutter cut 5-inch strips. Arrange strips into lattice design on top of filling, using a fork press lattice design into the sides of crust. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes or until crust starts to golden brown. Transfer pies from muffins wells to a wire rack for cooling.