Christmas is over and it’s the dead of winter and I have what looks like a summer post. But regardless of the season, fast and easy desserts like this are hard to pass up, especially when you are recovering from a holiday marathon of baking. These pastry cream filled mini fruit tarts couldn’t be easier.
Yeah, I’m whining. I know you aren’t suppose to on a blog, but I’m a rule breaker. My point is I’ve been a little light on the postings, but I also figured everyone is a little fatigued on baking themselves and on all the butter and sugar calories that go with consuming it.
Well since we are officially pass the first week of January, can we please resume our regular addiction?
Yes. Fantastic-because I have a belt buster coming up this week.
Until then I’ll go with these mini berry tarts to ease you back into our sweet routine.
A few notes:
- For the tart shells I used a premade brand from here. They are surprisingly really good. I was expecting something chalky, they weren’t. They are made to go sweet or savory, so dust your tart shell with powdered sugar for a sweeter flavor (and they look really pretty lightly covered with it). I love them, and wow, what a time saver. Along with that they are very inexpensive. If you prefer to use a homemade tart shell, click here for a step-by-step picture tutorial to making it.
- I used pastry cream for the filling, but I think next time I will use lemon curd instead for a stronger tart-like punch. For a lemon curd recipe click here for a step-by-step picture tutorial to making it.
- The pastry cream and lemon curd (if you decide to use this instead) can be made in advance. The mini tarts should not be assembled until day of for best results. But if you do need to assemble the tarts ahead of time, I recommend pouring a thin layer of chocolate on the bottom of the tart shell and let it dry. Then pipe the pastry cream or lemon curd on top of it. Doing this will prevent the tart shell from becoming soft or soggy.
- For ease of preparation, fill a plastic Ziploc with the filling and cut the corner off to pipe filling onto tart shell.
- Alternately, to avoid making mini tarts, follow the tart shell recipe from here and for a 9 inch tart pan.
Mini Berry Tarts
- Click here for the recipe.
- For a worthy pre-made tart shell recipe click here.
- Click here for the recipe
- Click here for the recipe
Dust tart shell with powdered sugar. Place pastry cream in a plastic bag and cut the corner off. Pipe a tablespoon of pastry cream into tart shell. To
Erin @ Texanerin Baking says
I love your summer post! I’m so desperate for berries that I’ve been eating frozen berries but they’re just not the same. And you don’t sound the least bit whiny.
I can’t stop scrolling up. The pictures are just perfect in every way.
Ann P. says
you could also do an in-between and make a LEMON pastry cream! I have a recipe on my blog under “goodbye summer.” btw these are gorgeously photographed!
Slurp,,,i am drooling 🙂
Hi there! I LOOOOOVEE your blog! I would love for you to come by and link up to my linky parties called A Themed Baker’s Sunday and the theme this week is citrus! I’d love it so much if you would participate, if not this week than some time or even be a guest baker!
Hope to see you there!
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says
I love these! They are absolutely adorable! And you’re not whining! haha we all need to vent sometimes 🙂
raquel from Florida says
You read my mind! Yesterday we went strawberry picking here in sunny and summery Florida (where is winter?) and we made some fresh strawberry tartelettes with vanilla pastry cream. I still have some berries, so tonight I’ll use lemon courd as you suggest. Beautiful pictures, the berries look sooo delicious !
I love mini tarts. They are are too cute for me to handle.
Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga says
They are gorgeous little things! The photography just jumps off the page, Naomi. Tack.Sharp.So.Vibrant.
I’ll take a dozen 🙂
Krissy @ Krissy's Creations says
I love that your posts are summer inspired, it’s my favorite season :). These mini tarts looks incredible! Anything filled with pastry cream & topped with fruit sounds good to me. I love that these are mini too!
Summery or not, I would eat them.
Mary @ Bake Break says
These look fantastic – I can’t wait until summer to make them!!
Julie @SavvyEats says
Oh, they are so cute and little!
lovely! I have some lemon curd, and fresh berries. Thinking of this 🙂
I love your mini berry treats…They look dainty and really yummy! I could gobble up a lot, regardless of the season. Thanks for sharing!
Simply beautiful! !
Sarah, Maison Cupcake says
These look so cute and delicate! Very pretty.
I just found this recipe and I’m anxious to make the tarts. I’d also like to use the pre-made tart shells, but the link you have is no longer working. Can you share the name of the product so I can look for it separately? Thank you!