If you are tracking such things as fall food, than I’m on point with these mini apple pies since fall officially started this past Sunday. But if you are like me, then things like that tend to get lost in the shuffle. But yesterday, coincidence was on my side.
What’s still not on my side: time. Again, another short post, as I’m back to volleying timelines with deliverables.
A few notes
- This is a Bon Appetit recipe that I flipped into 4 inch tart pans.
- The recipe calls for Golden Delicious apples, but I used Gala apples because that’s what I had on hand. I wouldn’t suggest this as they weren’t as flavorful. If Honeycrisp were around I would have used that instead, since that’s my baking apple preference.
- The grated lemon peel from the recipe was omitted.
- Apple jam was added to the filling since that’s the way my family prefers it. If you decide to use the jam, fold it into the filling after the apples have been tossed with the previous ingredients. I also used a little of jam to brush on top of the lattice to prevent it from chipping or cracking or chipping while they were being transported (a baking tip I read in a newspaper a while back).
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons, chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1/3 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening diced
- 6 tablespoons (or more) ice water
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup packed golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 pounds Gala apples, diced
- ½ cup apple jam (Optional. See notes in the post)
For the instructions to making this recipe from Bon Appetit, click here.