I am in need of a slump buster – and no, I don’t mean in the Mark Grace sort of way. I would prefer my “slump buster” to be delivered by way of a few extra hours.
I am buried underneath a to-do list that is multiplying ten-fold with each passing day—no exaggeration (okay, a little, but you know what I mean). I just can’t seem to get ahead. I made it worse, when I had all sorts of baked goods lined up for projects and then pushed it aside to make these toffee bars after seeing it on Bon Appetit’s Facebook page.
I couldn’t help it, especially after hopping over and seeing that the recipe could be finished in less than 30 minutes. So what am I complaining about–here’s the thing, the real time sucker comes into play when you eat nearly half the pan and then sit down and pass out for two hours from a sugar induced coma. That’s what happens when moderation fails you. You blow your whole day and panic for the next two days as you play catch up.
It’s awful. Don’t be like me, that is unless you fail to pace yourself and give away the remainder away to banish all temptation.
To get started, grab the original recipe here. For the version you see in the picture, here are a few tweaks I made because I didn’t have certain ingredients on hand: (1) I swapped out the puffed cereal for Special K cereal (2) I skipped the peanuts because I’m allergic to them, but if I had sea salted almonds on hand I would have tossed those on there.
Graham Cracker and Popcorn Toffee Bars
Yield: Serves 12-14
- 15 graham crackers
- 4 cups popped popcorn (from ¼ cup kernels)
- ¾ cup puffed Special K cereal
- 1½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped semisweet chocolate or chocolate chips (about 6 oz.)
- Flaky sea salt (for serving)
- Heat oven to 350°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with nonstick spray. Arrange graham crackers in a single layer on baking sheet, breaking to fit as needed to cover entire surface. Top with popcorn, peanuts, and cereal.
- Place butter and sugar, in a medium saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, stir once, then reduce heat and simmer, swirling occasionally, until mixture is golden brown and syrupy, 8–10 minutes.
- Pour toffee mixture evenly over graham crackers and popcorn mixture. Bake until toffee is slightly darkened to the shade of a brown paper bag and bubbling, about 10–12 minutes. Remove from oven and top with chocolate and sprinkle with salt. Set aside to cool in baking sheet before breaking into pieces.