4th of July Jello Shooters ~ Get your cocktail in a bite with these fun July 4th Jello Shots.
These are super easy to make and fun to serve. Full disclosure: I’m a Jello-shot fanatic. Remember these Lemon Drop Jello Shots and Strawberry Margarita Jello Shots along with these fun Rock Candy Jello Shooters on a stick? Yeah, I like my Jello shots, so I wanted to add a festive 4th of July motif to the collection.
I also wanted to share this awesome blog, the Jelly Shot Test Kitchen. If you are a regular viewer of Foodgawker or Tastespotting , then you’ve seen their work. If not, you must check them out. These women are rock’n the Jello shots like nobody else. I just ordered their book and can’t wait to try everything in there.
This post is in fact inspired by their fab creations – but you may have guessed that already!
A few notes:
- To keep things moving quickly and chilling faster, be sure to use the “fast set” directions on the box.
- I used both a regular and mini-sized cupcake pan for variety.
- Be sure to chill your pan(s) before using. This will help to set the gelatin faster.
4th of July Jell-O Shots
Makes 72 mini or 24-30 regular shots (based on using mini muffin and regular sized pans.)
Preparation: Lightly spray wells with bake spray. Wipe off excess (only a light coat is needed.)
- 1 large blueberry Jell-O Box (prepared according to “fast set” box instructions)
- 1 large cherry Jell-O Box (prepared according to “fast set” box instructions)
- 2, 14oz cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups water; divided use
- 8, single packs of Knox Gelatin, divided use
- 2 cups of vodka, divided use
- Prepare blueberry and cherry Jell-O according to “fast set” instructions; set aside.
- Measure out ½ cup water into a bowl and sprinkle 2 packets of gelatin on top and allow to bloom for 2-3 minutes. Pour bloomed mixture into a saucepan over low heat. Stir mixture constantly until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and pour dissolved gelatin into blueberry Jell-O. Add ½ cup of vodka to blueberry Jell-O mixture and stir to combine.
- Repeat step two for the cherry Jell-O.
- Empty sweetened, condensed milk into a bowl; set aside. Measure out 2 cups of water into a large shallow dish like a pie plate. Sprinkle 4 packets of gelatin on top and allow to bloom for about 2-3 minutes. Pour bloomed mixture into a saucepan over low heat. Stir the mixture constantly until the gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and pour the dissolved gelatin into the sweetened ,condensed milk. Add 1 cup vodka to mixture and stir to combine.
Note: For the mini muffin pans use one teaspoon for each layer. For a regular sized muffin pans use one tablespoon for each layer. Keep in mind that each subsequent layer will need less time to chill and set.
- Remove chilled pan from refrigerator. Measure and pour out 1 teaspoon or tablespoon of cherry Jell-O into wells. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for about seven minutes to set.
- Remove the pan from the refrigerator. Measure and pour one teaspoon or tablespoon of sweetened, condensed milk on top of cherry layer. Return pan to refrigerator and chill for 5-7 minutes to set.
- Remove the pan from refrigerator. Measure and pour one teaspoon or tablespoon of blueberry Jell-O on top of the sweetened, condensed milk layer. Return pan to refrigerator and chill for 3-5 minutes to set.
- Repeat steps 1-3 until the wells are filled.
- Gently press finger into Jello shots and pull it towards the center away from the walls. Use a finger from your other hand to leverage out the Jello shot.