Sure the name Fatty Bars is ridiculous, but it’s appropriate. After all, this is basically a brownie stuffed Reese’s cups and layered with Fritos, Pretzel M&Ms, and toffee–talk about caloric overload.
Let’s agree that I won’t be to blame if self-control stands you up on this one? Agreed. Okay, then I might as well introduce you to the rest of clan, say hello to–Slutty Cheesecake Bars, Man-Whore Bars, Bikini Killers and Belt Busting Heroes. See the theme here? I sorta love over-the-top desserts with obnoxious names, and these Fatty Bars are the latest addition. I know they aren’t for everyone. But if you love a good a sweet and salty combo, paired with chocolate–this is one to try.
As for the name, Matt suggested that I call these Fatty Bars Pantry-Clearing Bars since he literally saw me clean out the half eaten bag of chips, peel back the holiday wrapper from the candy, and use an ice pick to break apart the stuck-together toffee bits from the summer humidity–but Pantry Bars—well, seemed practical. I guess Kitchen Sink Bars would have worked too, but that sounded familiar for some reason and I’m sure, taken. Compost Bars were considered for a name, but that seemed unoriginal being that compost cookies already exist.
No, Fatty Bars are perfect. The name alone tells you they are ridiculous (and lovable).
A few notes:
- I used a 9 inch round cake pan with a removable bottom. If you don’t have one, make sure to line your pan with a parchment round on the bottom, in addition to lightly covering the side with bake spray for easy removal.
- I’ve made this recipe with Fritos and potato chips, so use what you prefer or what you have.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 oz. chocolate
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup toffee bits
- 14 snack size Reese's Peanut Butter cups
- 1 cup Pretzel M&Ms (5oz.), crushed
- 1 cup Fritos (1.5oz), crushed
Preparation: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover pan 9 inch pan with bake spray and lightly flour.
- Place butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat; stir until melted and combined. Set aside.
- Add eggs and sugar into a mixer bowl fitted with the whisk attachment, beat until mixture is light yellow and fluffy. Add in butter and chocolate mixture, cocoa powder, flour, and toffee, then mix to combine.
- Pour 1/3 of brownie mixture into pan, using an off set spatula spread mixture to an even layer. Place Reese's cups on top. Layer Reese's cups with remaining brownie mixture. Sprinkle top with crushed Pretzel M&Ms and Fritos.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 30-35 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before cutting.
**See post for notes**