Back to school is an event in my home. It’s like New Year’s for kids. There’s so much excitement around new beginnings, expectations and routines. Along with all of that there’s always the fun event of back-to-school shopping and working through new lunch box options and after school snacks.
This year, we gave our favorite after-school salad a quick makeover by adding something new to it: homemade sprouts.
Yep, we went there and we did it. Admittedly, they are much easier to make then I anticipated. To start we saved all of Cole’s favorite empty yogurt containers. He loves Yoplait Original – in every flavor. I’m a big fan of it too and love that Yoplait Original has 6 grams of protein to help keep Cole full at school.
I’m also a big fan of Yoplait Whips!, so once we saved enough of the empty cartons, we decided on sprouting sweet peas and red and green lentils. As I mentioned, they are unbelievably easy to make so you should definitely give it a go. They are a great addition to any salad.
Here’s how to do it:
- Empty Yoplait containers
- Rubber bands
- Dried beans or seed (I used sugar peas, red lentils and green lentils)
- Place 1 tablespoon of seeds in a container and fill with about ¼ cup of water.
- Cut a 2×2 inch square of cheesecloth to place on top of yogurt container and hold it in place with a rubber band.
- Fill the cup with water, making sure it covers the seeds by an inch. Place in a cool spot, out of direct sunlight overnight.
- Drain the water the next day and repeat step 3.
- Once the seeds have sprouted, transfer them to a sealed container and keep refrigerated for up to a week.
See what I mean about easy? If you are looking to pump up some afterschool meals—this is the way to go. Your kids will love getting involved in making their own food and you are going to love the added nutritional benefit of sprouts. And even better—this is a great way to recycle your empty Yoplait containers.
Yoplait is inviting you to try all 100+ flavors for a chance to win $100,000! Simply enter the code on top of specially marked lids at Yoplait.com/100Ways and you could win one of more than 3,000 prizes. The more codes you enter, the more chances to win! For a full list of flavors go to Yoplait.com/Products.*
**This is a sponsored post as part of my partnership with Yoplait. All opinions are my own.
*NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Ends 5/15/17. To play and for Official Rules, visit yoplait.com/100ways.