Apparently, I am in the zone for the week—the brownie zone. So from Monday’s Inside-out S’mores Brownies to these Crunchy Cookies and Cream Brownies, I’ll have another very soon.
I don’t know if its summer, the heat or what, but my body has been set to slugginess for the past week. I’m having the hardest time with moving my butt around lately. Yes, I would love to just slump down on the sofa and succumb to it, but I’m always racked with guilt when I do nothing. And true to form—the other night instead of exhaling—I got up off the sofa at 10pm and marked this off the “to-try list”. Nevermind the “to-do list” full of weighty things pertaining to financial matters, household maintenance and all the other eye-skimming stuff Matt has written down for us.
The to-try list is just way more gratifying. And in keeping with the mood, I cherry-picked the easiest one to make—you know, something perfectly suited for the lazy baker in me.
These don’t take much effort. If the lazy me can muster up the energy, you can too. Trust me, you will be well rewarded.
A few notes:
- These Crunchy Cookies and Cream Brownies are an adaptation of these from Lindsay’s blog’with the following changes: I swapped the peanut butter for Nutella, omitted the peanut butter cups all together, swapped the Rice Krispie cereal for some of these cookies and cream cereal (or you can use any suitable cereal you have on hand) and increased that portion from 1 1/2 cups to 2 1/2 cups for more crunch, and then threw in some marshmallow for some textural contrast.
- As Lindsay mentioned, these get melt-y in the heat, so eat’m fast (not a problem here ) or serve slightly chilled.
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder or 2 tablespoons brewed coffee (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups Nutella
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1/2 cups Cookies and Cream cereal
To make brownie base:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil; lightly cover with bake spray.
- Place butter and 3/4 cup chocolate chips in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat on high power for 60 to 90 seconds, stirring every 10 to 15 seconds to prevent scorching. When chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth, stir in sugar and brown sugar (batter will appear grainy).
- Add the coffee or espresso powder and vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- Whisk in eggs until incorporated. Sprinkle the flour over top and fold until just combined. Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips then pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until brownies are mostly done. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips over top. Return pan to oven and bake for 3 to 4 minutes more. Transfer pan to wire rack to cool.
To make topping:
- Place chocolate chips, Nutella, and butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat on high power for 1 minute, stirring every 10 to 15 seconds, until melted and smooth. Let cool slightly. Add cookies and cream cereal and marshmallow and toss to coat. Spread cereal mixture over top of brownies, then cover and refrigerate for at least 90 minutes, or until set, or overnight. Brownies will keep, refrigerated in an airtight container, for up to 1 week.
Recipe is originally from Averie Sunshine's book Peanut Butter Comfort,