These Creamy Peanut Butter Cookies are everything according to my boys!
In fact this recipe is a repeat offender in my home—definitely a top five request. They love the combination of the creamy filling alongside the soft and chewy cookie.
That’s it. I’m keeping it short and I’m leaving you with a few notes because—yay, to Friday!
A few notes:
- Although easy to make, these do take some time as they bake best one sheet at a time and need to be completely cooled before filling.
- Use creamy peanut butter not chunky.
- Follow the directions and let the cookies cool on the pan. Don’t skip this part or your cookies will become concave.
- The original recipe calls for the dough to be rolled between your hands to form a ball, but it’s just much easier to squeeze dollops of dough through a pastry bag.
- Filled cookies can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator of up to 3 days.
- Cookies can be kept unfilled in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Peanut Butter Cookie (recipe from Karen Demasco’s book The Craft of Baking)
- 1 ¾ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup plus tablespoon lightly packed dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioner sugar
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
Creamy Peanut Butter Filling
- 3/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line bake sheet with parchment.
To make cookies: Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl; set aside. In a large bowl, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter, brown sugar and confectioner sugar on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy, about 2minutes. Add the peanut butter and beat to combine. With the mixer speed on low, slowly add oil, vanilla, and egg, beat until combined, about 20 seconds. Add flour mixture, beat until just combined. Place dough into a pastry bag. Pipe ½ inch dollops onto parchment keeping dollops 1 inch apart. Bake at 350 degrees F one sheet at a time. Remove the from oven and transfer to a wire rack. Allow cookies to cool on the pan completely.
To make filling: Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth.