Ok, so I have a thing for salad. Wrap it up spring-roll style like this and I’m probably going to have more salad than if I had to “fork” it. That is because, it gives me a free hand to multi-task with out much delay. That sadly, is how a lot of lunches are consumed. But this is an improvement, especially since I use to skip lunches altogether.
Nowadays, I do stuff like this Chinese salad spring roll—fast, easy and somewhat healthy. I make them the night before and grab one when I’m hungry.
I’m making an effort to eat better (and just plain eat). Admittedly, most days, I end up only having breakfast then snacking on nuts or fruit for dinner. It’s not a diet thing—more a bad habit of working obsessively until I finish what’s at hand before I take a break.
So these spring rolls, even if I’m eating with one hand and working with the other is, is a step in the right direction.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Mirin or sweet rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound Napa cabbage, cut into 1-inch pieces (3 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 pound snow peas, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 seedless cucumber (usually plastic-wrapped), quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8-10 rice paper
- 1 butter leaf lettuce head or 2 radacchio heads, thick stems removed and cut in half
Combine and whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients. In a large bowl, toss all salad ingredients with vinaigrette.
Assembly: Fill a shallow pie pan with warm water. Working with 1 sheet of rice paper at a time, submerge it in the water and quickly transfer it to a dry towel. Rice paper will become pliable within seconds. Place a piece of lettuce on top of the rice paper. Layer with 2-3 tablespoons of salad on top. Roll the paper halfway. Fold both sides of the paper over the filling. Keep rolling to seal.