Let’s do the food first then chat after. Okay, cupcakes — yes, you know I’m a sucker for pretty much all cupcakes, throw in some chocolate chips and I’m all over it. Throw in a banana and my little guy is all over it, especially if I bill it as a banana muffin. To everyone else it’s a Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcake with a fluffy cloud of marble cream cheese frosting.
So yeah, I have a propensity to be sneaky about my food. I have all kinds of work-around for my full-of-picky-eaters family, like calling naked cupcakes “muffins” being one of them. My girlfriend always told me this would come back to me tenfold. She was right.
Well almost—not the trickery, because Matt’s just too nice to try to pawn off Berry-Lime Fanta for my latest craving, Strawberry Fanta. No, I’m suffering from not only picky eating, but “phase eating”. Which means what’s great one month is a no-go another and what’s a “I would never” is now a daily craving, ie. Strawberry Fanta.
My poor babe, he has no idea what to stock up from day-to-day. But I’m pretty sure he’d rather take the yo-yo cravings over yo-yo emotions. Although a warning babe, I’m only 24 weeks along. There is still a long way to go.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup soft shortening
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 package (6 ozs.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon banana flavoring
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Banana Frosting
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, for garnish
For the remainder of the recipe, click here.
A few notes:
- To marble the frosting, fold in two tablespoons of melted chocolate at the end. Make sure that you do not over mix or the chocolate will just blend into the frosting.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Clabber Girl as part of an ongoing ambassadorship. However, all opinions are my own.