More kid treats fanc-i-fied (real word – fo’sure) this time I’m turning the standard rice krispie treat into a s’mores rice krispie treat.
Anyone notice how I am sort of stuck on my kitchen torch lately? If you are a “way-back” reader than you already know this—for those of you who are more recent readers, I have a tendency to get in these little fits and pockets of repetition.
Right now – it’s all about s’mores recipes and firing up my kitchen torch, so be prepared for at least one more s’mores treat.
S'mores Rice Krispie Treats
Yield: Makes one 9x13 pan
Graham cracker crust
- 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons of butter
Rice krispie layer
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 bag (10 1/2 oz mini marshmallow)
- 6 cups Cocoa Rice Krispie cereal
- 5 oz. chocolate, melted
Toasted marshmallow topping
- 5 large egg white
- 11/2 cup sugar
Line pan with foil and lightly cover with bake spray.
To make graham cracker layer
- Place graham cracker crust and sugar in a bowl and toss to combine. Add in melted butter and mix to combine. Press mixture onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 7-10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
To make rice krispie treat
- Place butter and marshmallows in a pan over low heat to melt. Stir melted ingredients until combined. Cool slightly.
- Add in Cocoa Rice Krsipie and stir to combine.
- Spread melted chocolate over crust. Then quickly press finished mixture into pan. Set pan aside to cool and set.
To make toasted marshmallow topping:
- Combine egg whites and sugar in a bowl placed over simmering water. Bring mixture to 160 degrees F while whisking constantly.
- Transfer mixture to stand mixer bowl, fitted with a whisk attachment and beat on medium high speed (speed 8 on a KitchenAid stand mixer)until mixture cools and doubles in volume and forms stiff peaks; about 10-12 minutes.
- Place assembled pan with topping under broiler for 1-2 minutes or until top starts to turn golden. Keep door open to check for doneness - the topping goes from golden to burnt very quickly. Alternately, use a kitchen torch to toast.
A few notes:
- You can bypass the homemade marshmallow frosting topping and just place 2 cups of mini marshmallows on top and then place the pan under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until top starts to turn golden. Make sure to keep the door open to check for doneness - the topping goes from golden to burnt very quickly.
- A chocolate layer on top of the graham cracker crust is needed for the rice krispie to stick to it, so don't skip that step.
- These s'mores rice krispie treats are best eaten the same day.