Party season is in high gear, so this year when you are looking for what to bring as your host/hostess gift, let me suggest homemade marshmallows That’s homemade marshmallows stepped up with a little Kahlúa.
You are going to love these as much as the person receiving them, so make sure you make a double batch. These are the fluffiest marshmallows and, pssst . . . I made them without corn syrup.
I know homemade marshmallows might sound scary to some of you, but it’s really not. Yes, you need a candy thermometer and the mixture slightly bubbles, but if you can boil water and pour it into another bowl you can do this. Beyond that, this is incredibly easy make with a hands-on time of only 15 minutes, then put it aside for eight hours or overnight—and done!
Aside from that, everyone loves a good homemade treat and this is a great one—there’s just something special about receiving homemade marshmallows. They are great on their own, but even better in a hot chocolate punched up with—of course—a little Kahlúa or Kahlúa Peppermint Mocha. Want to really go for it— nibble on this while having a classic Espresso Martini
Now that I’ve convinced you. Get on it.
Fluffiest Homemade Kahlúa Marshmallows
Yield: 8-10 servings
- ½ cup Kahlúa
- 3 tablespoons gelatin (3 packets)
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preparation: Lightly cover a 9x9 pan with nonstick spray. Place parchment on top and then cover once more with nonstick spray. (The first layer of nonstick spray will help to keep the parchment paper in place.)
- Pour Kahlúa in to a stand mixer bowl fitted with the whisk attachment. Sprinkle gelatin on top. Set aside.
- In the meantime, place the sugar, water, and maple syrup in a saucepan with over medium heat; cook and stir until sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook without stirring until candy thermometer read 240 degrees F, about 12-15 minutes.
- Pour syrup mixture into gelatin mixture; beat on low until combined. Increase speed to high and beat until thick and fluffy and mixture triples in volume, about 10 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
- Using an lightly oiled spatula, scrape mixture into prepared pan. Use a lightly oiled offset spatula to smooth out top (top surface will not be completely even). Set aside in a cool place, (not the refrigerator) for 8 hours or overnight. Use a serrated knife and slice into 1 inch cubes. Cover cut sides with cornstarch and confectioner sugar mixture. Marshmallows will keep in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
Kahlúa Hot Chocolate
Makes four 8oz drinks
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa powder
- 1 quart milk
- 1/3 cup Kahlua
- Place all ingredients in a heavy bottom sauce pan over medium low heat and stir until chocolate is melted and all ingredients are well combined.
Disclosure-this post is in partnership with Kahlua. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the companies that continue to make Bakers Royale possible.