Strawberry Margarita Jell-O Shooters

Margarita Jell-O Shooters ~ A fun farewell to summer and a festive edition to your Sunday football tailgate party or gatherings. For another Jello shooter variation like this one, check out my Lemon Drop Jello Shooters cut into the shape of lemon wedges and my Rocky Candy Shooters shaped just like the rock candy you loved as a kid.

Strawberry Margarita Jello Shooters

Strawberry Margarita Jello Shooters

As many of you know, my Lemon Drop Jell-O Shooters are my issued dish from my girlfriend who holds the annual tailgate kickoff amongst our friends. This year with Matt being in the hospital, I sent them forward to the gathering in our absence.

Now that we can finally make the next one in two weeks, she has again requested Jell-O shooters. But who wants to repeat a dish back-to-back, that’s like wearing the same dress to two functions that have the essentially the same invitees.

That being the case, I opted to try what you see here. Somewhere there is someone screaming at my blasphemous mash-up of a cocktail with Jell-o. And my response . . . stop being so uptight.  Food is fun and I love messing around with it.

Besides how cute and fun are these?

this recipe
to recipe box

Strawberry Margarita Jell-O Shooters

Yield: Makes 24-30 Shooters

Ingredients:

24-30 Strawberries

Margarita Mix

• 1 box Strawberry Jell-O
  • 8 ounces tequila, preferably reposado or blanco
  • 6 ounce Cointreau
  • Salt for garnish

Directions:

Strawberry Prep:

1. Cut the bottoms of the strawberry flat to get them to stand upright. When you do so, make sure that you do not cut off so much that there is a hole at the bottom.
  2. Use a huller or apple corer to empty out the strawberry.
  3. Once the strawberries have been emptied, use a towel to pat the outside of the strawberries dry.
  4. Check each strawberry and make sure there is not a hole in the bottom before you start filling.

Margarita Mix

1. Boil one cup of hot water in a saucepan,  then add in Jell-o powder and whisk until powder is completely dissolved, about 2  minutes. Set aside.  Measure out 1/4 cup of cold water and set aside.
  2. Combine tequila and Cointreau, in cocktail shaker filled with ice. Add liquour mixture to cold water and stir to combine. Then add cold liquour mixture to hot Jell-o mixture and stir to combine.
  3. Pour final Jell-o mix into strawberries and chill overnight. Dip your finger in water or use a moistened brush to wet the edge of the strawberries, dip and rotate the strawberries in salt to rim. Garnish with cut lime triangles to finish.

• I will be posting the how-to picture over the weekend. Sorry, I have to process them still.
  • Use the real Jell-o mix and not a store brand, as the store brands tend not to set up as firmly.
  • Choose the freshest strawberries you can find.
  • You can use a strawberry huller or an apple corer along with a melon baller to empty out the strawberry. I used the latter method because it allowed me to dig a deeper well.
  • These are best made the night before and served the next day.
  • Fill your strawberries as high as possible, as the Jell-O will sink a bit in the middle.

68 Responses to “Strawberry Margarita Jell-O Shooters”

Michelle — September 24, 2010 @ 4:31 pm

I think these rock!

Jen @ How To: Simplify — September 24, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

I’m so in love with these shooters! They are awesome!

Tracy — September 24, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

These are so adorable!!

diva — September 24, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

COOOOL. i want em. i like that they just look like real strawbs

Mimi — September 24, 2010 @ 6:39 pm

What a fun way to get your tequila!
    Mimi

van — September 24, 2010 @ 8:51 pm

awesome!!!!

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit — September 25, 2010 @ 3:25 am

I love these!

winelips — September 25, 2010 @ 9:18 am

how many strawberries does this recipe wield?

#2 of the instructions doesn’t make sense. “strain mix into jello mixture” supposedly we’ve already mixed the jello with the mixture in instruction #1. when do we pour it into the strawbeeries? after we’ve salted the rim or does the rim salthing come after the jello is set? how long do they take to set?

very confusing.

or perhaps there are steps missing from the post?

it’s a shame because it’s a lovely idea

• Naomi replied: — September 26th, 2010 @ 4:32 am

Hi Winelips,

Thanks for asking, my apologies for the confusion. I have fixed the recipe with further details.

Thanks,
      Naomi

Joanne — September 25, 2010 @ 10:50 am

Last year my friends and I had a party and one of the themes was a crazy variety of Jell-O shots. It’s really amazing how many flavors you can infuse into them. These sound awesome and will definitely be featured at my next fiesta!

Kristen — September 25, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

Oh wow – these are fabulous! What a great idea!

Lisa — September 26, 2010 @ 2:44 am

Naomi, you are always so inventive. Your photos and stunning! Thanks for sharing and thanks for you kind comment!

ingrid — September 27, 2010 @ 4:47 pm

Those would be fun at all the poolside bashes that are still going pretty strong here.
    ~ingrid

Eliana — September 27, 2010 @ 7:18 pm

I could enjoy these any time of year! They look super delish.

Rhonda ( The Dainty Baker) — September 27, 2010 @ 10:59 pm

These are so adorably cute!! perfect for a bbq on a sunday arvo I say!!

Dee — September 28, 2010 @ 12:16 am

Love this recipe. How many strawberries do you use.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets — September 28, 2010 @ 4:46 am

These are so cute and creative. I can just imagine how refreshing they taste, too. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Brooke (Baking with Basil) — September 28, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

These are so adorable!! Mind if I put in an order for these and the Lemon shooters for our next party. haha! :)

Acting girl — September 29, 2010 @ 2:00 pm

That looks very creative. I need to try this (regardless of what time of year)!
    Thanks for posting.

Nate @ House of Annie — September 30, 2010 @ 1:12 am

These are cute and fun! And I suppose you could take this idea and use different kinds of fruits which could serve as edible cups.

Kristina — September 30, 2010 @ 2:53 pm

Love this idea. One question: If you add the liquor to the jello while the jello is still hot—that is, without allowing it to cool to room temp—won’t a lot of the alcohol in the mixture evaporate?

Maryon — September 30, 2010 @ 8:18 pm

Mouthwatering! Kristina is right. Allow to cool befor adding accohol.

AmandaCatherine — September 30, 2010 @ 9:55 pm

How many strawberries do you need for this recipe?
    I want to make them soon for a party but I need to know how many to buy so I have enough

Meghan — October 1, 2010 @ 1:15 am

This is such a fantastic idea! Love it!

Rocio — October 13, 2010 @ 12:10 am

what size jello box was used for these?

• Naomi replied: — October 13th, 2010 @ 2:04 am

Hi Rocio,

I used the smaller box (3oz) not the large one.

Thanks,
      Naomi

SMITH BITES — January 27, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

Naomi – I LOVE THESE!!! soooooo cute and just waaayyyyyy too fun!!!

Ashley — June 20, 2011 @ 2:07 am

These are such great party treats in the summer. My only suggestion is to swap the salt rim for a sugar rim. They are a little better with the strawberry actually. :)

michelle — April 1, 2013 @ 10:02 pm

You can eat the whole shot, Right?

Marie — April 8, 2013 @ 8:39 am

This is such a great idea..However I didnt have much success when transporting them, What shall I carry them in when traveling?

• jillkuzma replied: — July 20th, 2013 @ 1:37 pm

I would try mini cupcake tin

new Girl season 2 episode 14 putlocker — May 15, 2013 @ 1:16 am

Good information. Lucky me I ran across your blog by accident (stumbleupon).
    I have saved it for later!

nikki — May 17, 2013 @ 9:49 am

this is so cute! im gonna make this memorial weekend! but i dont really understand ur directions on how to make the strawberry stand to fill in the jello?

• jillkuzma replied: — July 20th, 2013 @ 1:38 pm

Cut off the tips, maybe.

nikki — May 17, 2013 @ 9:50 am

this is so cute! im gonna make this memorial weekend! but i dont understand your directions on how to make the strawberry stand upright while filling it with jello

watch new girl online — May 18, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession
    capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts.

Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

watch New girl Online — May 18, 2013 @ 5:20 pm

Quality articles is the important to be a focus for the users
    to pay a visit the site, that’s what this web site is providing.

rekuperatory — May 19, 2013 @ 2:48 am

I usually do not leave many remarks, but i did a few searching and wound
    up here Strawberry Margarita Jell-O Shooters | Bakers Royale.

And I actually do have some questions for you if it’s allright. Could it be just me or does it give the impression like a few of the responses look as if they are coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are posting on additional online social sites, I would like to follow anything new you have to post. Could you make a list of the complete urls of your public sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

crystal — July 8, 2013 @ 11:51 am

About how many days could you keep these frozen till gone bad?

Lisa Olson — July 17, 2013 @ 12:16 pm

Hi, I am celiac.
    I can apply this recipe? What do you recommend for me?

Lucas Serrano — August 2, 2013 @ 11:21 am

mmm yummy!
    Unfortunately I can not eat this because my skin is very oily. But it keeps for a party!
    regards

MrGuns24 — August 13, 2013 @ 6:42 pm

I will e making some of this I love strawbarrys

annalise — August 15, 2013 @ 9:48 am

has anyone made these yet?? I would love some feed back about how they turned out. I am making them tonight for a vegas trip this weekend.

diana — August 19, 2013 @ 10:17 pm

Do you have to use the cointreau? Can you just do the tequila?

charlotte — September 29, 2013 @ 9:41 pm

Is the cointreau required? I couldn’t find a small bottle and all of it was super expensive. Could I just use all tequila or is there a cheaper option?

• alexandra replied: — October 3rd, 2013 @ 1:35 pm

You can use triple sec. It’s orange liquor. All the same and much cheaper. Contrau sec is orange liquor as well. :)

• Vicki replied: — December 18th, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

What size jello box? I saw in the red velvet shots that it is 6 ounces of liquor to a 3 ounce jello box and some water.

For the strawberry shooters is it the small box?

Thanks for the insight. I am using these for our annual Cookies and Cocktails party (dress code is an ugly Christmas sweater).

Thanks

Ebony — November 5, 2013 @ 9:44 am

can you use vodka

• Lisa replied: — December 10th, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

You could use your favourite cocktail mix. Vodka is the base to any cocktail.

• Lauren replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 8:13 pm

Vodka is not the base for every cocktail. That is the farthest thing from the truth. You can use any liquor you want in this recipe, it just won’t be a margarita anynore.

Emme — January 17, 2014 @ 5:07 pm

Last night I made these awesome shots BUT I ran into a problem. Cutting the strawberries at the bottom just enough so they stand but not too much so the liquid doesn’t leak out. No dramas shelias and blokes! I cut all my strawberries( some perfect and some not so perfect) seeing some of them leaking worried me. So I kept the jello in the bowl and put it in the fridge for about an hour and a half, it came out just enough solid to clog the holes but liquid enough to still spoon up and fill the strawberries. It all smoothed out over night. Also I did half of the strawberries sprinkled with sugar with a kiwi slice on top and the other half with salt and a lime slice. Hope this helped some of you! Enjoy :)

• Cindy Mullikin replied: — May 31st, 2014 @ 6:19 am

I should have read your comment first…..I could not see any holes but clearly they were there…It was a total bust for me. I ended up placing the jello in tiny plast cups!

ime — January 24, 2014 @ 4:04 pm

Im using rose to mix with the jello,,,we shall see

Kris F — July 3, 2014 @ 5:53 am

I made these last night. A few comments… I made these exactly to the recipe and after sitting in the fridge overnight, the jello set, but not as much as I would have liked. I will use a different proportion the next time to make the jello part. This recipe is an awesome idea and the strawberries are a hit. Other comment… I would wait until cutting the bottoms to make them stand-able until after you are done and the jello is set. The strawberries I had weren’t very cooperative in this manner. With the jello set, you can lop the bottoms off much more easily. This though does making the setting portion a little more challenge. I filled a cupcake tray with paper towers and propped them up easily in that without problem.

Thanks for this idea… love it.

TOP | 99999 Wonderful Quotes — October 14, 2014 @ 11:29 am

Seriously, my daughter is going to love you for this recipe. :)