Mixed Berry Summer Smoothie

Mixed Berry Summer Smoothie ~ From Bikini Killer Cookies to Belt Bust’n Chocolate Bars, I’m kicking the week off with a healthy summer smoothie that’s packed with antioxidant-packed  super foods.

Mixed Berry Smoothie

Mixed Berry Summer Smoothie

I’m not intentionally doing a 180 here, but boysenberry season has just begun here in California. Every year I go crazy stocking up on them. The season is so brief, lasting for less than ninety days I have to get them while I can. Similar in appearance to a blackberry, the boysenberry is distinctly different in taste but packs a similar antioxidant punch.

When you can find them, buy a lot. If someone had sold these to me as Mother Nature’s candy instead of raisins (eww) when I was kid, I would probably have gone the way of Violet Beauregarde—color stained, bloated and floating away from a lack of self control.  But instead, the boxes of raisins that mom brown-bagged for school, ended up sprinkled over the playground grass.

As a result, I don’t try to push raisins on my son. Luckily he and I are huge fresh fruit consumers and this is one of our favorite ways to enjoy our daily recommended serving .

Really, can you think of better way to get your healthy fruits than sipping it all in one delicious glass of frosty goodness?

• This recipe is highly adaptable. If any of the berries are not in season in your area, substitute with another berry or just double up any of the other portions.
  • Your palate, your preference. Adjust the texture of this summer smoothie to your preference by adding more yogurt for a creamier and thicker smoothie; or for a thinner smoothie add more juice. Any type of yogurt will work so you can easily substitute the vanilla yogurt with  non-fat, plain, or sugar-free.
  • I make these smoothie year around.  During the winter months I use frozen berries since it’s really not worth buying fresh under-ripe berries.
  • And hey, check it out—no sugar! Seldom will you find that here on Bakers Royale. Well, I should clarify, that’s no added sugar. The sweetness comes solely from the goodness of the raw ingredients.

Mixed Berry Summer Smoothie

Makes 3 Cups

• 1 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 1/3 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup boysenberry
  • 1/3 cup strawberries
  • 1/3 cup raspberries
  • 1/3 cup blueberries
  • 1 large ripe banana

1. Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.

1. Carla says

That last 1/3 cup says just berries. What are the berries?

• Naomi replied: — June 20th, 2011 @ 2:22 am

Hi Carla- Thanks for asking, that’s blueberries. The recipe has been updated.

2. Kadee says

yum! I think you meant the lovely Violet Beauregarde with that Willy Wonka reference though! 😉

• Naomi replied: — June 20th, 2011 @ 7:00 am

Kadee-OMG! THANK YOU for telling me. That’s what I get for writing late at night. Fixed!

I had no idea boysenberries are such a thing out here in Cali (I’m new to Cali). I made hand pies last year with them, now I’ll have to investigate more desserts :)

P.S. Small typo: 3 montH season (in the first paragraph)

• Naomi replied: — June 20th, 2011 @ 7:00 am

Ah, thanks Christina! I’m notorious for that and many other spellng and grammar offenses!

I love boysenberries too! I grew up with several bushes of them in my backyard, so it wasn’t until I was an adult and out of my mom’s house that I realized they were special. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen them for sale outside of a farmer’s market or u-pick farm.

Your smoothies sound and look great – love the pink color. I just got a new blender and will be trying your recipe soon! :)

Naomi, I love your sippy diversion with this beautiful smoothie recipe. As a kid my favorite yogurt flavor was Danon boysenberry – have not ever purchased them though. Now I will be on the lookout :)

6. sweetsugarbelle says

My mom’s friend used to make boysenberry jelly when I was a kiddo, but now I cannot even remember what they taste like! I would be so interested to taste them again, although I have no idea if they are even availiable in my area! You completely piqued my curiosity!

Fridays and Saturdays are big nights (possibly too big and too
    much pressure for a first date), and nobody likes going out at the
    beginning of the week on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday.
    Online Leeds Escorts and dating Service has become a very popular method for meeting and finding a partner for a relationship.

Surely, you will get hurt by a sudden rejection as a result of these lies told by you.