Lemon Drop Jell-O Shots

Lemon Drop Jell-O Shots ~ Get your tailgate on with these fun jello shots re-envisioned into lemon wedges.  Good food, good fun, and . . . some darn good Jell-o shots to add to your tailgate party or Sunday football potluck gatherings.

Lemon Drop Jello-O Shots

Lemon Drop Jello-O Shots

Lemon Drop Jell-O Shots

Lemon Drop Jell-O Shots

Pre-season has started and with that comes the ever popular football potluck and sometimes tailgate parties amongst my group of friends. I’m not a football die-hard; in fact I don’t even watch football. I hardly know the teams and I certainly don’t know the stats. What I do know is, aside from the company the food is always good at our Sunday gatherings.

I must admit, I don’t get to them like I once did since having Cole. But Matt and I will definitely be at the annual kick off.

That being said, I will be bringing these fun Lemon Drop Jell-O Shots. I debuted these a few years back and it’s been tradition that I bring them every year for kick off. Which is fine by me since they are incredibly easy to make and are always a huge hit.

I also made limes and oranges, but they didn’t make it in the final picture. The limes were too mangled from my dull knife and oranges for some reason  took on a glowing effect when photographed.

No recipe, just a few notes and the step-by step pictures (using a lime) to making these Jell-O shots.

Step-by-Step

Step-by-Step

• Empty out the citrus of your choice to create a vessel.
  • Juice the citrus first as it makes for easier pulp removal. Save extracted juice for later recipes.
  • Use either a grapefruit knife to hollow out the citrus, or the easier way,  is to turn them inside out like the picture and dig deeply in to the pith until you catch the thin membrane holding the pulp and then peel back.
  • Make sure to completely clean out your citrus or the pulp will show in the wedges.
  • Make the Jell-O according to the instructions on the box and then reduce the cold water portion by ¼ cup and replace with your chilled drink mix. Place emptied citrus into muffin pan holes. Pour mixture into emptied citrus and chill overnight.
  • Use a straight edge knife to cut into wedges. Do not use a serrated knife or it will leave track marks.
  • Make sure to use a sharp knife or you will end up with mangled wedges.

Comments

1. k says

I have just discovered your blog, and I absolutely love it – everything about it. The design, recipes, photography, creativity, presentation…they’re all amazing. :)

2. Anna says

This is pure genius! Do you think sugar would stick to the sides, for some extra sparkle?

-Anna
    Boston, MA

• Naomi replied: — September 1st, 2010 @ 2:08 pm

I have never tried that, but great idea! I don’t see why it wouldn’t though.

These look great! Some lime ones done in the lime skin with tequila would go down great! Similar to the sugar suggestion, you could dip the edge in some salt. Awesome!

4. Julie says

these are amazing!! What a fantastically creative idea. I made these last night, but I also added clementines with orange jello (and of course vodka). Great job…keep um comin.

I love lemon drops and I love jello. Can’t think of a better combo. And serving them in the lemon rind is genius. Next party, I’m absolutely making these.

6. Teri says

I want to be the first to bring these to my next pot luck! What a great conversation starter! Thanks for your great ideas!

thanks for the idea! i tried these yesterday and they were a hit. i had a really hard time cutting through the lemons and limes, but the oranges worked like a charm!

8. Corie says

This is such a great idea! Just wondering though, about how many lemons would it take to make a batch? I would hate to not have enough rinds prepared before I started pouring in the Jell-O.

Also, have you had an issue with the Jell-O falling off the rind once they are cut into wedges or does it stick to the rind pretty good?

• Naomi replied: — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:13 pm

Hi Corie,

It will fill 7-8 large lemons. I didn’t have any problems with the Jello falling off the rind. Just be sure to use a sharp knife.

Naomi

9. pam says

Hi Naomi, these look amazing and I want to make them this weekend, any suggestions on the “chilled drink mix” not sure what to use..Thanks

10. pam says

Could you please give me a drink suggestion for these, I want to try them tomorrow. They look fantastic . Kudos on the photo.

I did a trial and they are as brilliant as the photos! I’m so happy and thanks so much!

I wanted to ask how long do you think they last? Just like normal jello? Since I need to prepare them before hand?

Thanks!