Eggnog Cupcakes with Spiced Rum
I am in full holiday swing! First it was the Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes, then Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes, and now Eggnog Cupcakes. I’m thinking you will really like this one. Boozy or not, you choose-but don’t skip the eggnog in the cupcake. The added fat and cream from the eggnog along with the flavor turns an ordinary vanilla cupcake into a cheerful holiday treat. Topping off this holiday treat is a spiced rum buttercream frosting.
This past weekend I was getting ready to roll out some dough, but in a rush I very clumsily dropped my marble pastry board and it broke. Seriously, how does one break a marble board?
I’m not sure, but I did and I was not looking forward to fighting my way through a holiday shopping crowd to get into William Sonoma for just one item. But here’s the thing, forget the Powerbars and health drinks, a good energy shot requires a cupcake. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
A nice sugar rush will provide you all the energy you need to get moving. Don’t worry about the sugar crash, if you feel your energy starting to level off-have another cupcake, cookie or something sugary. Do that enough times and you will be well conditioned to avoiding that so-called “sugar crash” or “sugar blues”.
. . . Of course consult your doctor before endeavoring on any dietary changes.
A few notes:
- The cupcake base is adapted from Magnolia’s Bakery. The frosting is my Swiss Meringue Buttercream, kicked up with some spiced rum.
- To make this non-alcoholic, omit the rum and replace that portion with eggnog. Alternately, leave them both out altogether and add in 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract for a vanilla frosting.
- The gold sprinkles are from Wilton and can be found online or at Michael’s craft store.
Eggnog Cupcakes with a Spiced Rum Buttercream
Cupcake portion adapted from Magnolia’s Bakery via Food Network
Makes 24 cupcakes | Preparation: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffins tins with cupcake liners.
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup eggnog
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Spice Rum Buttercream:
- 5 large egg whites
- 11/2 cup sugar
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, diced and softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup spiced rum
To make cupcake:
- Measure out flour and set aside.
- Add sugar and butter in a bowl and cream on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs in 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the eggnog and vanilla to start. Mix after addition until incorporated-do not overbeat.
- Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer cupcakes from tins to cooling rack. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
To make Spice Rum Buttercream:
- Combine egg whites and sugar in a bowl placed over simmering water. Bring mixture to 160 degrees F while whisking constantly.
- Transfer mixture to stand mixer bowl, fitted with a whisk attachment and beat on medium high speed (speed 8 on a KitchenAid stand mixer) until mixture cools and doubles in volume and forms stiff peaks; about 10-12 minutes).
- Add butter in one piece at a time, mixing to incorporate after each addition. The mixture may appear clumpy and almost curdled looking at first-this is normal. Keep mixing and it will become even and smooth again.
- Add salt and spiced rum and mix to combine.