Captain America and Hello Kitty Get Cozy

Captain America gets cozy with Hello Kitty Cupcakes~ These fun themed fondant cupcakes maybe eye candy for kids, but are not so sweet for eating.

Captain America Cupcakes

Captain America Cupcakes

Hello Kitty Cupcake

Hello Kitty Cupcake

Today marks the end of my birthday marathon and I’m absolutely exhausted. Although I can’t complain, especially since this last party was my little guy’s second birthday party in which we did the family celebration at a park. He had a dual party with his absolutely adorable cousin Hayli.

I don’t usually throw family pics in but, seriously, how cute are those two?  And of course they requested special birthday cakes, but I’m not real adept at decorating large cakes. Ahem, ever wonder why I always do minis?

Overwhelmed by the idea of doing two large cakes to meet what they wanted, I settled on cupcakes. Being that kids are not real fans of fondant, I only made a few with it then finished the rest of the cupcakes with just some regular buttercream frosting.

And since I only made a few of each, I used ready-made fondant from Wilton. Pssst . . .  I have made homemade fondant once and it was-um, a total fail. But if you know me, you know I’m not one to give-up. And now that I have tasted Wilton’s fondant the determination to make homemade has been fast tracked.

This maybe baking suicide, but I’m not a fan of Wilton products. I use a few Wilton tips, their pastry bags and the mini brownie bite mold, but other than that I’ve been under impressed with their quality.

Since I didn’t love Wilton’s fondant and I used a yellow box cupcake mix as requested-I have no recipe.

My only note this time is asking for your help and letting me know if you have a baking brand you use. I would love to know what you prefer or use i.e. Nordicware, Chicago Metallic, Ateco or is it a little bit of everything.

Quick Mention:

I am excited to share that I will be co-hosting a “Sweet Treats” class on the Web’s first-ever virtual cooking school, Cooking Connections. I would love for you to participate.

Here’s are the details:

When: Wednesday, March 9, at 1 p.m. ET

Where: TheMotherhood – online class will be held here

Registeration: Click here for the  registration page to all the Cooking Connections classes

Class: “Sweet Treats,” and it is hosted by Julie Mastbrook (Mommie Cooks) and Kristen Doyle (Dine and Dish).  We all will be sharing our best resources for finding sweets; sweet snack suggestions and recipes for when we’re craving just a taste of sugar; and dessert recipes with kid-friendly instructions and cleanup, so your children can help you whip up delicious creations!

The class is sponsored by ConAgra and hosted by TheMotherhood

It’s going to be a blast! I hope to see you there!

Check out the awesome line-up of co-hosts:

Comments

I’m not really partial to a particular baking brand though so far most of my baking pans seem to be calphalon – totally by chance and probably because I once got a discount working retail. They’re great. My only gripe is their loaf pan since it has actual fold lines, whatever you’re baking can leave remnants making it more difficult to clean. Tip wise I’ve always used wilton’s because they’re easy to find but do have the jumbo tips from bake it pretty.
    BTW those cupcakes are seriously freaking adorable – tasty or not 😉 And I have heard that about the wilton premade fondant before… tastes awful but works great.

I have never used fondant.

I love Americolor and Ateco gel food colorings (no nasty dye tastes). My muffin pans are pampered chef as are my cookie scoops (in three sizes). I have several nordic ware bundts and love them – great, heavy duty feel to them. For pastry bags I use the disposable Culinary Institute of America bags I found on Amazon. My tips are either Wilton or Bake it Pretty.

Super cute cupcakes!

The cupcakes look great! I bet those super cuties loved them!

I have to agree with you – I am not a Wilton fan. I avoid most of their stuff partially for the fact that I feel like they take advantage of people with their convenience + higher pricing (but that’s business for you, I guess) and, on a similar thread, because I’m able to find better/equal quality stuff for a lower price pretty easily. That said, I have a mish-mash of brands in my cabinets. Nordicware, Fat Daddio’s, Ateco, CK… Who am I forgetting? There’s certainly some Wilton stuff in the mix, but it’s rarely my go-to.

The cupcakes are cute but to be honest, the kids win hands down – they are absolutely adorable!!!

My baking gear is a true mishmash of stuff but since I am not a huge baker that isn’t surprising!!

The cupcakes turned out beautiful!! I’ve only used fondant once but definitely want to play with it more. I’ve heard that the Duff Fondant is great to work with and taste good. The kids are just adorable!

The cupcakes are so cute! I’m not a fan of Wilton fondant either, so I always make my own…and if I can do it, so can you!! :-)

7. Heidi says

I also agree with you about Wilton. There are a few items of theirs that I use but overall I avoid the brand. I like Americolor and CK Products. Those kids, and the cupcakes of course, are adorable!

I use a little of everything too. I haven’t tried the Wilton fondant. A quick sub to avoid making it from scratch I use is just marshmallow fluff and confectioners’ sugar. My kids think it tastes better than fondant too!
    Thanks for sharing the cute pictures!

I use Pampered Chef for my cookie scoops and baking sheets. My muffin pans and loaf pans are Calphalon. I don’t have many Wilton products other than the pastry bags and a few tips.

Cuute cupcakes!! I’m not a fan of fondant but it makes for some adorable decorating.

10. Samantha says

2 words: marshmellow fondant. so simple and easy to make. it colors nicely and tastes…like marshmellows! it rolls out easily, can be saved for up to a week in the fridge- its amazing!

Trackbacks