White Chocolate, Cranberry and Apple Oatmeal Cookies ~ This is a seasonal holiday cookie that is always in my Christmas cookie lineup.
During the season I give my traditional oatmeal cookie a quick change out with some cranberries and chopped apples for a holiday makeover. Of course I could make this year around, but I like to keep some things seasonal for tradition.
This year I have to admit, my cookie box tradition is looking kind of anemic. I haven’t baked as many cookies as I usually do. And so of course having a tendency for maniac episodes of obsessive behavior, I have been fretting that my blogging mania has hindered my annual cookie box fest.
Yes, there I said it, obsessive behavior. I love baking and always have, add blogging to the equation and it pushes me to learn more and do more. But it’s the photography portion of it that makes me obsessive.
I struggle to set up the composition, I worry about the lighting and I will even move things an insignificant 1/8 of an inch for the perfect framing. I drive myself crazy with minutiae, but I’m hoping with practice the photography will come to me with some ease like my baking. Don’t get me wrong there are plenty of baking struggles and baking failures in my kitchen, but for some reason those don’t eat at me like my struggling photography skills.
Having said that, the other day instead of pitching my camera across the room I laid it down nicely. I disassembled my photo session for the day and headed for the kitchen to make a batch of what you see in the picture.
A few notes:
- You can change out any of the add-in portions as you like. Oatmeal cookies are highly adaptable.
- Keep in mind the baking time is not long enough to soften the apples, so dice them to the size of your preference for taste and texture. Alternatively, you can also use the largest hole on a cheese grating box for a more subtle apple bite.
- To work quickly and with a little less mess, I use a small 1 1/2 inch ice cream scoop to drop the cookie dough onto a bake sheet. If you don’t have one, a spoon will work fine.
- The cookies can be kept in a tightly covered container on the counter up to 3-4 days.
White Chocolate, Cranberry and Apple Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 30-34 1 inch cookies
Preparation: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line bake sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 11/4cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon all-spice
- 3 cups old-fashion rolled oats
- 3/4 cup cranberries
- 3/4 cup diced apples, peeled
- 3/4 cup white chocolate, chips or chunks
- 1/2 cup walnuts
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, apple sauce and vanilla; beat well. Set aside. Combine add-in ingredients; set aside. Combine flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice and oatmeal using a wooden spoon or a sturdy spatula stir in butter mixture. Stir in add-in ingredients until combined. Use a small ice cream scoop to drop dough onto cookie sheet.