Peppermint Crinkle Cookies

For those of you don’t know me, I’m going to tell you I have all these weird rules and traditions. One of them being peppermint candy to mark Christmas baking. No peppermint candy until Nov. 1 st. This year I’m so late, I didn’t buy my first bag until just last week.  But I’m here with a peppermint crinkle cookie that’s soft and gooey on the inside and crisp on the outside.

Peppermint Crinkle Cookies

Now if you are a long time reader than you know this is a repeat from two years ago.

The original version found here is a Shirley Corriher’s recipe. I received more complaints that the cookie didn’t turn out or it didn’t look like mine than I got – “Hey, great cookie!”.  I’m not sure why since all her recipes are solid.

So I had to revisit the crinkle cookie.

This time around I started from scratch and came up with my own recipe. I scrapped the corn syrup and canola oil and I also dropped the flour ratio and added cocoa powder and Nutella.

Nutella? Yes, Nutella-it leaves no flavor behind but helps add a powerful punch of moisture to the cookie to give a gooey brownie-like center. That my friends, is my secret ingredient  to a killer crinkle cookie! Enjoy.

this recipe

Peppermint Crinkle Cookies

Yield: Approximately 48 two-inch cookies

• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoon natural unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 7 oz. chocolate, 65% cacao
  • 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup Nutella
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 egg white
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 1 cup confectioner sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line bake sheet with parchment paper

1. Place flour and cocoa powder in a bowl and whisk to combine; set aside.
  2. Place chocolate, butter and Nutella in a heavy-bottom pan over  low heat and stir until ingredients are melted and combined.; set aside.
  3. Place eggs, egg white and sugar in a bowl and beat until the mixture is light in color and thick and fluffy in appearance with large bubbles (mixture will resemble pancake batter). Add in peppermint extract and beat to combine.
  4. Gently fold chocolate mixture into egg mixture until combined. Gently fold in flour mixture until no streaks appear. Chill dough for 20 minutes.
  5. Place confectioner sugar in a large bowl. Remove chilled dough, using a cookie scoop or a tablespoon drop dough into bowl with confectioner sugar. Push dough around to heavily cover it confectioner sugar. Place covered dough balls on parchment lined bake sheet one inch apart. Bake for 350 degrees for about 10-12 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes, using a spatula press cookie flat.

• If you don't have peppermint extract, add one cup of crushed Hershey's Peppermint Kisses into the dough (after the flour is mixed in). Or feel free to leave out the peppermint completely for a straight chocolate crinkle cookie.
  • In case you are wondering, no the Nutella does not leave any taste behind, but it does give the cookie added moisture without adding more butter to the cookie.
  • The cookies come out slightly domed after baking. You can leave them that way or take a spatula and press it flat like I did. I preferred them flattened down, since it shows off the crinkle better and doesn't effect the taste or texture of the cookie by doing so.

Well thank you for re-vamping your own recipe (even though I’m sure it was a good one) because these look to-die-for good! Wow – I just made choc cookies and am still editing the pics and you make me want to make more :)

2. Anne says

These look divine – and I plan to make them today! Just wanted to clarify 2 things. I’m assuming that it is 1/4 cup nutella. Also, you mention eggs and egg whites in your instructions. Are there extra egg whites, or just the ones from the 2 eggs? Thanks!!

• Naomi replied: — November 26th, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

Anne-There is an extra egg white. I’ve added this to the recipe. Thanks for letting me know.

These look delicious! Two questions – your instructions say “place eggs and egg white”, but I don’t see egg white in the ingredient list. Should it be there? I’m allergic to hazelnuts. Do you think Biscoff spread would be a good substitute?

• Naomi replied: — November 26th, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

Jules-I’m not sure about the Biscoff spread, but give it a go and let the rest of us know. I’ve added the egg whites to the recipe. Thanks for letting me know.

These are one of my absolute favorite cookies! A friend introduced me to them awhile ago and I always make batches and batches every year (I’ve even gotten paid to make them!). I like the idea of adding Nutella in lieu of butter, that way I can trick myself into thinking they’re a bit healthier 😉

5. Sandy says

Do you think it would be okay to chill overnight or do you think that would be too long? These look and sound wonderful so I’m hoping to be able to mix up the dough on a Friday night to take to a cookie baking party on Saturday.

• Naomi replied: — November 26th, 2012 @ 8:25 pm

Sandy-Overnight will work just fine.

6. Francheska Marie says

Is it 1/4 cup Nutella?

Wondering how they’ll come out if covered in crushed peppermint candy…

• Naomi replied: — November 27th, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

Francheska-Yes, that’s 1/4 cup of Nutella and the peppermint will show through (much like how chocolate chips show through on a cookie when mixed in)

7. Lorien says

So excited to make these….but when do I add the peppermint? I’m assuming as i add the chocolate to the egg mixture….

• Naomi replied: — November 27th, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

Lorien-Add in the peppermint after the eggs are mixed.

8. Dianna says

Hi I was just wondering if these could be made ahead and frozen until Christmas ? Sorry if this has already been asked and answered.

• Naomi replied: — November 27th, 2012 @ 7:34 pm

Dianna-They hold quite well, so yes, they can be made up to 5 days in advance and kept in a tightly sealed container.

9. sarah says

Is 1/3 cup of flour right?

• Naomi replied: — December 5th, 2012 @ 7:02 pm

Yes, Sarah, that’s a 1/3 cup of flour. It’s basickally a brownie cookie rolled in confectioner sugar and flavored with peppermint extract for the holidays.

Chocolate, peppermint and Nutella in one cookie recipe? Count me in! Thanks for sharing an updated version of your recipe, Naomi. I can’t wait to try these out. – Carrie from Sam’s Club

11. Sarah says

Hi, I just made the recipe perfectly and the cookies did not turn out like yours. Is the flour in the recipe really only 1/3 of a cup? Mine seemed to spread out a fair bit, and we only got 32 cookies out of the recipe. We live about 1000m from sea level, so I don’t know if this would make a difference? They still tasted divine, but look a little worse for the wear….suggestions? Thanks!!

• Naomi replied: — December 5th, 2012 @ 7:05 pm

Sarah, thanks for letting me know. Hmm, I’m not sure if sea level would effect the cookie. I’m glad to hear they taste divine! In terms of not looking as good – did you smash them down a little so they are flat and the crinkle shows up nice and bright? I’m adding a step-by-step photo collage so you and few other people can see how heavy the confectioner sugar coating is.

Is the flour measurement correct? My batter is runny and will not form a dough??

• Naomi replied: — December 5th, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

Heather – Yes 1/3 cup is right. I’m not sure why your batter is runny it shoudl not be. Try chilling the dough for 20-30 minutes.

13. Kylene says

By chilled, I bet you meant in the freezer not the fridge. That could explain why my mixture was pretty runny. Easy fix!

14. Noam says

they look amazing!! and i can’t wait to try them, but is there a substitute for the nutella so that the cookies will still be moist? should i add more butter? if so, how much?

15. theo says

Is it really that liquidy? i meant for the dough? coz i did it but my dough doesnt get to that like of a cookie dough consistency =(

16. michelle says

is the 7 oz chocolate 65% cocao melted baking chocolate? Im confused, sorry. man, I want to make these right this second!

17. Pam Marney says

Did anyone who actually made these get good results with 1/3c flour? It really doesn’t seem right and the ingredients are expensive to waste if it’s not going to turn out.

• Jules replied: — December 18th, 2013 @ 6:16 pm

Followed recipe to a tee…these are brownie cookies so yes, 1/3c flour is correct. After chilling IN THE FRIDGE, they are scoopable. They will seem undercooked when you take them out, but after a couple minutes left on the pan and then cooled, perfect! I did only get 29 cookies tho, not the 48 as mentioned in the recipe.

18. Sheila says

Hi, OK I am very frustrated. I made the first batch, and mixed the egg mixture like you said, till it got thicker, with bubbles, almost like pancake batter,bbut not quite. It was never thick and I would say it was just a hair thinner than pancake batter (or cake), I was just hoping the flour mixture would thicken it up, it didn’t. Iput it in ffridge for 30 min. I test baked 3 and they flattened like little thin pancakes. So I added 1/4 cup of flour and tested 2 more, still thin, added another 1/4 cup flour and put batter in freezer for 15 min. Tested 3 more, still flat. Decided to put into tiny mini muffin pan so they would have a wall, and not spread so much. Used just a heaping tsp of batter per cookie and only got 24 out of the batch. Bak
    ed them for 13 min in the mini muffin pan and when they cooled a bit, I flattened them with a metal spatula. They were perfect and chewy. I just wonder why it was sooo runny to start with… About how long does it take to beat the egg mixture to the texture you speak of? Can someone time it for us maybe we’re mixing too long or not long enough. It took about 10minutes and it never got very thick. Second question, how in the world do you get 40 cookies out of that? Thanks, Sheila

19. J says

I followed the recipe exactly and the cookies came out perfect! It did make 30 cookies rather than the 48 stated.

20. Debby says

I made the batter as stated, but it was runny. I added some flour to make it dough consistency. They were pretty but bland, like something had been left out. I wasted my ingredients.

21. Tiffany says

Just made these cookies… Spread out a lot! tasted like a cheap brownie mix with a splash of peppermint. Also, I followed instructions to the T! I would not recommend.