Bikini Killer Cookies

Chewy Chocolate Chip Snickers Cookies ~ Meet my latest mash-up: a classic cookie gets gooey with one of the longest standing candy bar for an awesome good time in this twofer cookie.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Snickers Cookies

If you follow me on Facebook, then you know last week I teased about an upcoming bikini killer but I really should have mentioned it’s gonna be a glut fest this week.

I know some of you may have your hesitations with the caloric count doubling over your local mercury reading, but trust me—don’t. These recipes are going to be worth every calorie. If it helps, I promise we can swap iTunes workout albums and commiserate our way through a few sweaty sets.

Now with the calorie count out of the way. . .

This is a Father’s Day cookie I made for Matt. Snickers is one of his favorite candy bars and he loves a chewy chocolate chip cookie with a crisp edge. His favorite is Cooks Illustrated Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie. Of course he doesn’t know it by that, he refers to it as, “You know, the cookie with the butter you cook in the pan”.  That said, I decided to combine two of his favorites into one for a Snickers stuffed chocolate chip cookie.

Yeah, I know, he got them a week early, but that’s the life being married to a food blogger-you’re always ahead for the holidays. Aside from that, I know many of you are peanut butter lovers of some sort, and I’m betting that even more of you are chocolate chip cookies lovers, so I wanted to share this deliciously fun cookie with you for the Dad’s in your life.

I should mention when you make these—uh, maybe make two batches. I made this over the weekend and each cookie sheet was cleared minutes after it came out of the oven.

Snickers Cookies

• The base for this recipe is from Cook’s Illustrated Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies. This is my go to chocolate chip recipe. Hands down the best, I like it better – gasp, but I do, I like it better than Alice Medrich’s (my all time favorite baker) and better than Alton Brown’s  (another one of my favorites).
  • I made a few changes to the original recipe to simplify things, since last time I made this recipe there were a few questions about the flour and eggs. Here are the changes I made: I used all purpose flour instead of unbleached all purpose flour. I skipped using partial eggs for 2 full eggs and changed the flour and butter ratios to accommodate the added egg portion. I also skipped rotating the bake sheet half way through.
  • Resist the urge to just chop and mix your Snickers into the cookie. I did this on the first test run and discovered that any Snickers bits on the edges will flatten itself onto the cookies sheet. Stick to the recipe and stuff the cookies and for added richness place a few chopped pieces on top.
  • The brown butter is the key to this recipe. It lends a toffee like flavor to the cookie so don’t shortcut it.
  • To keep the cookies nice and chewy, I place half a slice of bread in the cookie jar with it. Try it-I swear it works. The bread piece ends up like a crouton while the cookies stay moist and chewy.
  • For some of my other stuffed cookie variations check out my German Chocolate Cake Cookie and my Oreo Stuffed Funfetti Cookies.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Snickers Cookies

Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated |Makes 24-30 3inch cookies

Preparation: Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line bake sheet with parchment paper.

• 2 cups all purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 16 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • ¾ cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 ½  cup sliced Snickers, (approximately 4 king size candy bars or one bag of mini size Snickers)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

1. Place flour and baking soda together in a bowl and whisk to combine; set aside.
  2. Place 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking and using the handle of pan to swirl the butter around in the skillet. Swirl butter constantly until it becomes a dark golden brown in color and gives off a nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 6 tablespoons of butter into hot butter until completely melted.
  3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to brown butter mixture and whisk until fully incorporated. Add eggs and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Rest mixture for 3 minutes, then whisk for another 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using sturdy rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.
  4. Using a #24 cookie scoop (basically a small ice cream scoop) or using a spoon scoop out approximately two heaping tablespoons of dough and flatten it into a round disc and place a Snickers slice on top. Fold edges over Snickers to seal it in. (*Optional: For added richness press in chopped Snickers on top). Place cookies 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets.
  5. Bake cookies 1 sheet at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, about 10 to 14 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack to cool cookies.

OMG!! These look amazing. Should we freeze the snickers before they go into the cookie, or will they be fine at room temperature?

• Naomi replied: — June 15th, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

Hi Michelle-No need to freeze the Snickers. Happy Baking!

Who needs a bikini anyhow? They are overrated. Totally useless for swimming, especailly if you like to use the diving board. I’ll take these cookies and swim with a big T-shirt any day! YUMMY!!!

3. Carla says

Your recipes are crazy. . . in the best way of course. Now I just have to find a way to talk my kids into making these for my husband.

4. Kim says

Placing a piece of bread in your cookie container really does work. I’ve been doing it since I began to bake as a kid oh many moons ago. My friend’s Mom taught me that.
    I can’t wait to try these! Yum!

Oh! So many things!

First – best name ever for a cookie.

Second – regarding your hubby calling the ATK cookies “You know, the cookie with the butter you cook in the pan” – cutest thing ever.

Third – Stuffing the cookie with the Snickers bar, so smart! I’ve done the thing where I chop up the Snickers and mix it into the dough, but everything just melts and you lose the flavor. Also great to sprinkle chopped candy bars on top.

Looks great as always, your pictures are amazing.

Wow, Naomi! This is brilliant….what a perfect summer cookie! I am not passing up the opportunity to make these….just added snickers to my grocery list this morning :)

7. Courtney says

INCREDIBLE!!! So sinful of you, especially since my other cookie plans are now being pushed back for these.

Love your blog, recipes, photos and all.

My first thought. That’s all I need. Bikini killing cookies. There is no way I am making those anytime soon. Then I saw you smoosh a snickers bar inside a chocolate chip cookie. Can we say heaven!!! My two of my favorite things… now all we need is to make these into an ice cream sandwich and I will give up all hope of dieting this summer.

Good thing I just got back from a beach vacation. I don’t have to wear a bikini again for at least a little while, totally have time to recover after eating these!

10. Jessica says

I have the same question as someone above; do the Snickers need to be frozen.

• Naomi replied: — June 15th, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

Hi Jessica-No they do not need to frozen.

Okay, so you’ve figured out how to make one of the most amazing cookie recipes in the world. Now, the real question is, how am I supposed to eat just one?

These do look like they would kill my bikini but since it’s already kinda dead, I would not feel guilty about enjoying these. Hmmmm.

13. Ashley Y says

OK so I have a sheet in the oven as I type this… A few things, how thick do you cut the snickers? Also, my dough was pretty loose, I had to add a little extra flour and chill it a bit to make the discs. Love the cooks recipe as well!

• Naomi replied: — July 21st, 2011 @ 10:53 pm

Ashley-so sorry for the delay in answering your question. I sliced somewhere between an 1/8 and 1/4 inch in thickness.

hi naomi i had a doubt..I was thinking of replacing the snicker bars with toblerone chunks? you think that would work? i have quite a bit of toblerone bars to be used up and was just wondering…would like your input. Thanks a tonne…the recipe looks fab and i want to try it out

• Naomi replied: — August 15th, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

Nisha-I don’t see why the the Toblerone wouldn’t work. Give it a go and let us know!

15. Staci says

So was wondering if I could do these in a 9X13 pan and make them into bars instead of individually wrapping the snickers do you think that would work? Trying to save time since I work long days and wanted to make for dessert? They look so good

16. Kathy says

Hi Naomi! My son loves your original chocolate chip cookie recipe using the whole egg and the yolk. Does this adjusted recipe yield the same texture? Or is it different? Just wondering if I should switch! He only eats cookie, and that’s your originally posted one! Thanks! Love your blog!!

17. khalisa says

why does mine always comes out flat? i have followed each step carefully.

• Sarah replied: — August 30th, 2013 @ 8:50 am

Try putting the dough in the fridge before stuffing/baking. I did that and it seemed to help!

18. Sarah says

I found that putting the dough in the fridge before stuffing and baking helped so the cookies don’t spread quite as much, I like a thicker/ chewier cookie. Plus it’s a little easier to work with when it’s chilled! Great recipe, thanks!

19. Jerry says

These taste great but they’re still not coming out looking like yours, plus the dough is till kind of hard to manipulate even after an hour or so in the fridge, I’m following the recipe best to my ability, should I add more of something or less of something? Any tips would help thanks! :)

20. Athena says

I made these and the feedback was great. They loved them. I think the toffee butter approach was the key. Will make these again!