Holiday Bark Series: Mint Chocolate Chip Bark

Who wants more bark recipes? Yo, I got one, how about cool mint in a chocolate bark? Adding to that is a crunchy layer of chocolate wafers in between the dark chocolate and the minty white chocolate. Finishing it all off is a heavy sprinkling of crushed Andes Mint Chocolate.

Mint Chocolate Chip Bark

Well so much for easing up on the bark, right? But then again you guys asked for more, so yeah, I’m all for it! Whoo-hoo to more bark. And guess what, since I have about 6 dozen more bark recipes, I’ve decided to flip it into a Holiday Bark Series. Yup, so expect to see one bark recipe every week until January.

If you’ve been reading then you know I’ve already created a Rocky Road Bark, Cookies and Cream Oreo Bark, Turtle BarkNutter Butter Bark, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bark. To officially kick start this series, I give you Mint Chocolate Chip Bark.

I love mint chocolate, and as it is, it’s also a family favorite in my home, so of course this was a big hit. I betting if you love mint chip anything you will also love this.

Now that we’ve agreed the bark series is official, let me know if you have any requests in the comment section.

Mint Chocolate Chip Bark

Mint Chocolate Chip Bark

• If you don’t have Andes candy available. Nestle’s mint chips will work just as well. I personally just prefer Andes.
  • To add a crunchy layer of texture I used these chocolate wafers from Nabisco, if those are unavailable where you are chocolate graham crackers or cocoa pebbles will work just as well.
  • To color the white chocolate, I used Americolor’s Electric Green, but any green will work. Just make sure that you start slowly with the color by dipping the end of tooth pick or skewer into the food coloring then into the melted white chocolate. Don’t squeeze the food color directly over the chocolate or you may end up with a blob of color that will result in a deep green instead of a soft mint green.

Mint Chocolate Chip Bark

Makes one 8×8 pan | Preparation: Line pan with wax paper

Ingredients:

• 14-18 Andes Mint, chopped
  • 5 oz dark chocolate
  • 8-10 chocolate wafers
  • 7 oz. white chocolate
  • 1-2 drops of green food color (dip toothpick in food color)

Instructions:

1. Chop Andes Mint Candy and set aside.
  2. Place dark chocolate in a heat proof bowl over (not on) simmering water and stir until melted. Pour melted chocolate into 8×8 pans, using an offset icing spatula smooth out chocolate until an even layer is achieved. Place chocolate wafers on top and gently press it into the chocolate. Place pan in refrigerator for 5 minutes for chocolate to become slightly harden.
  3. Place white chocolate in a heat proof bowl over (not on) simmering water and stir until melted. Remove from heat. Dip toothpick or skewer in green food coloring and then dip it into the white chocolate; stir to combine.
  4. Remove pan with chilled dark layer and pour melted white chocolate on top. Using an offset icing spatula smooth out chocolate until an even layer is achieved. Sprinkle chopped Andes Mint Candy on top and return the fully assembled bark to the refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes or until bark is fully set.

44 Responses to “Holiday Bark Series: Mint Chocolate Chip Bark”

Annie @ Annie's Cooking Lab — November 9, 2011 @ 3:38 am

I think this might be my favorite bark recipe you’ve posted so far, these sound delicious! Hard to go wrong with Andes mints though :)

Ann P. — November 9, 2011 @ 3:46 am

Andes mints are my favorite! Restaurants with Andes mints at the hostess table are the best. :) Hence, I am a huge fan of this bark!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — November 9, 2011 @ 3:46 am

There can never be too much bark… and the mint chip combo is a classic and incredibly delicious one!

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — November 9, 2011 @ 3:49 am

Yay, bark! I love these recipes–so glad you’re going to have more of them in the future. :) I’d love to see one with butterscotch…maybe a toffee-type bark? Either that or one that highlights a vanilla flavor!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — November 9, 2011 @ 3:50 am

Bark is such a fun treat. I always think of my mom when I see Andes mints – I would love to make this for her!

Diane {Created by Diane} — November 9, 2011 @ 3:51 am

oh YUM, I love mint chocolate chip!

Nadine — November 9, 2011 @ 4:04 am

You are the best and I already love this new series of yours. Keep it coming!!!

Mercedes — November 9, 2011 @ 4:20 am

This looks so good! I would like to make several of your barks and give them as holiday gifts! Can’t wait to see what’s coming!

Regan Martin — November 9, 2011 @ 4:26 am

I just love mint and dark chocolate….this will definitely be made this week!

Just a question…..how do you get such perfect cut edges on the bark pieces? Are you heating the knife a bit, or what? I would love for mine to come out beautifully like that. Usually they break when I try and cut into it, and then there are shards and little chips…..wasted! Can’t have that!

• Naomi replied: — November 9th, 2011 @ 10:48 pm

Hi Regan,

For the sharp edges two things: (1) Use a really sharp knife and press the tip into the bark and then bring the remainder of the blade down into the bark. Depending on the kind of knife you use, most blades are shaped at an angle, so don’t bring the knife down in one push, the uneven pressure will crack the bark. (2) After the bark has set in the refrigerator bring it to room temperature before cutting. This will soften the chocolate and make for easy cutting, although you will most likely still have some shards.

Thanks for asking I’ve added this tip to the notes section.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — November 9, 2011 @ 5:16 am

I know the hubby will dig this one, he always love peppermint bark around the holidays.

Kelly — November 9, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

Absolutely gorgeous. Will be following your holiday bark series.

Blog is the New Black — November 9, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

Starred and saved! Lloyd will die!

Shelly@Kaye Syrah — November 9, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

Is it weird to want to lick the computer screen? Chocolate and mint is never wrong! Thanks for posting this.

Brooke (Baking with Basil) — November 9, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

LOVE mint and chocolate and the pieces of Andes on top is perfect! Bookmarked to make very soon!! Ofcourse my next love to mint would have to be toffee. Can we get a bark with some sort of toffee incorporated?

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — November 9, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

I’d be happy to send you my address for you to ship some to me lol jK These seriously are right up my alley. I love chocolate and mint things!

JulieD — November 9, 2011 @ 5:07 pm

I love Andes mints!!! I want to make these, Naomi!

Christina — November 9, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

I’m so excited for these and I would love to see just about anything bark

Vanessa — November 9, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

This looks SO delicious!

Jessica O. — November 9, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

question, can you clarify what you mean by chocolate wafers. Are you referring to the candy wafers for candy making or wafer cookies?

Megan @ ScholasticFood — November 9, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

This looks SO good and I love how simple it is! This is definitely going to be distributed to my friends and neighbors this Christmas!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — November 10, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

I recently found Andes Chips at the store–that would make this delightfully easy recipe one step easier. (I bet they’ll only be there through the holidays.)

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — November 10, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

My husband is a mint fanatic. I know he would love this.
    I love bark as a neighbor gift. It is so quick and versatile. I’m sure adding mint would be a huge hit around the holidays!

Wenderly — November 10, 2011 @ 9:25 pm

Perfect for the holidays!

~Natural Little Mother~ — November 10, 2011 @ 11:16 pm

I can’t wait to try out this recipe. Thanks for sharing it.

Jill — November 10, 2011 @ 11:44 pm

This looks absolutely perfect, but when I make it (and I will be for the holidays for SURE) …I plan to use dark chocolate for both the layers and add peppermint extract to it!

nicole {sweet peony} — November 11, 2011 @ 12:41 am

OMGGGGG! mint chocolate is my favorite flavor combination! i am totally making this bark asap… it looks amazing! also, i’m really excited about your holiday bark series :)

FERBWL — November 11, 2011 @ 7:24 am

Absolutely greate, I like to add more white chocolate to it.

Trish — November 11, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

I guess I’m going to be making some bark soon!! Can’t wait.

Leslie — November 11, 2011 @ 10:39 pm

Waaaaait, a bark series, I will be tuning in! I love all your barks, so this is exciting.

Matthew — November 12, 2011 @ 12:55 am

Not sure if the comments state this already or not, but Andes sells their mints chopped up already. You should be able to find them in the baking section of your local grocery store. http://shop.tootsie.com/Andes–Crme-de-Menthe-Baking-Chips/p/CHR-AN182050&c=TootsieRoll@Andes

Enjoy!

Cookin' Canuck — November 12, 2011 @ 1:33 am

You are killing me with these bark recipes (in a really good way) and this chocolate mint combo hits the jackpot for me.

Arlene — November 13, 2011 @ 8:00 am

Quick question: Is the white chocolate flavored with mint, too? Or is the mint flavor just coming from the Andes Mints?

Thanks!

• Naomi replied: — November 16th, 2011 @ 3:20 am

Arlene-Most of the mint flavor comes from the Andes. I didn’t want my bark too minty. But if you would like to add some mint extract to the white chocolate, I recommend starting slow with a 1/4 teaspoon then taste and add another 1/4 teaspoon until you find it to your liking. But don’t forget the Andes is pretty strong in mint flavoring as well, so go light with the extract.

Jenn@eatcakefordinner — November 13, 2011 @ 10:07 pm

Oh my gosh – I could eat the whole thing! I love Andes Mints!!

seawillow — November 15, 2011 @ 5:01 am

Love Bark, but I have only made it using Almond bark instead of white chocolate. Never added food coloring to it and I’m a cheap chic. I wonder if my cheap @ss green food coloring will do the job. What do ya’ think? Have you ever tried the Almond bark? It melts really smooth.

• Naomi replied: — November 16th, 2011 @ 3:26 am

Seawillow- I have not tried almond bark. And your green will most likely be fine. Start slowly by just dipping the end of a toothpick or one fork tine into the color and then into the white chocolate and then stir. Continue adding color this way, if necessary, until your color preference is achieved. Just remember its easier to add color than to try to correct a too dark shade.

Tara — November 17, 2011 @ 1:52 am

Im excited to try this! Two questions: how long will this keep? And should it be stored in the refrigerator?

• Naomi replied: — November 17th, 2011 @ 4:00 am

Hi Tara-It’s not necessary to refrigerate it. It’s good for up 3-5 days. Just keep it in a tightly sealed container. Refrigerated it will last up to a week and half or longer if stored in a tightly sealed container, so it doesn’t pick up and absorb any odors.

Brooke (Baking with Basil) — December 6, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

Just wanted to stop back and let you know I made this bark recently and it’s amazing!! Loved the crunch from the wafers in the dark chocolate! Great recipe Naomi!