Cranberry and Coconut Bread
Happy 2014, everyone! I’m starting the year off with a cranberry bread—a simple, sweet treat that comes together in just ten minutes. I added some coconut and chocolate chips to balance out any tartness the cranberries may have.
And, yes, I love cranberries. The season is so short, so expect a few more recipes with this fruit—sweet and savory.
That’s it for words today—I’m swaddled in holiday fatigue and hoping to recover by the weekend for a huge project: garage clean-up and make over. Yeah, I know, I’m excited too.
Cranberry & Coconut Bread
Recipe from TheKitchn
Yield: Makes one 91/4 x 51/4 inch pan
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60-90 minutes
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed and softened at room temperature for 1 hour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups cranberries (12-ounce bag)
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Preparation: Heat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a 91/4 x 51/4 inch bread pan.
- Place eggs and sugar in a stand mixer bowl fitted with a whisk attachment and beat on high until mixture is pale yellow, and doubles in volume; about 6 to 8 minutes (batter will ribbon on top when whisk is lifted).
- Add in butter, vanilla and almond extract (if using), until incorporated; about 2 minutes. Then using a sturdy spatula or a wooden spoon to fold in flour, salt, cranberries, coconut and mini chocolate chips.Pour batter into prepared pan (batter will be thick), evenly spread batter with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 60 t0 90 minutes. Start checking for doness at 60 minutes. Bread is ready when cake tester removed from center shows moist crumbs (should not be wet).
A few notes:
- Adaptations: I added coconut and mini chocolate chips to balance out the tartness of the cranberries.
- There is no leavener in this bread, so make sure to beat the eggs as instructed in the recipe for proper rising.
- See original recipe source for a brown sugar and pecan topping.