Rolo Brownie Bites

What’s better than a chewy brownie? A popable chewy brownie bite stuffed with a Rolo then drizzled with chocolate and caramel. This is rich, really rich-a calorie pig.

Rolo Brownie Bites

Rolo Brownie Bites

Let’s just all be thankful Fall is here and we can pile on the clothes with the pounds to stay warm. I’m a firm believer that a little extra padding never hurt anyone. Like I tell Matt, love the pudge—it’s where all happiness radiates from.

If you haven’t guessed, I like sugar—ALOT. Next to sugar, is chocolate, then butter. Combine the three and mix it into my favorite form and you’ll find a brownie. And that is pretty much why you see so many brownie recipes here.

I hope you enjoy this brownie-meets-candy mash-up as much as we did in my home! Happy Monday to the start of another awesome week.

• I used Wilton’s Brownie Bites Pan to make these. If you don’t have one, a mini cupcake pan will work just as well. If you have neither use an 8-inch pan.
  • To stripe the tops like the picture I used caramel sauce.
  • For the brownie base, I used Alton Brown’s Brownie recipe. Yes, can you believe it-I deviated from my stand-by brownie recipe from Alice Medrich.

Rolo Brownie Bites

Makes about 48 brownie bites | Preparation Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Butter wells or 8-inch square pan.

• 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup sugar, sifted
  • 1 cup brown sugar, sifted
  • 8 ounces melted butter
  • 11/4 cups cocoa, sifted
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/2 cup flour, sifted
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 6 1.7oz Rolo pack of candy

Chocolate Covering:

• 1/3 cups dark chocolate
  • 2 tablespoons butter

To make the brownies:

1. Place egg in a stand mixer bowl, fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow. Add both sugars mix to combine. Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.
  2. Pour the batter into brownie bite pan or into mini cupcake pan and place a Rolo in the center and bake for 15 minutes. If you are using an 8-inch square pan place Rolos on top of and press into  brownie mixture and bake for 45 minutes. Check for doneness with the toothpick method: a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. If using brownie bite pan or mini cupcake pan, cool for 5 minutes then remove brownies. If using an 8-inch pan, let cool before slicing.

To make chocolate covering:

1. Place chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl over (not on) simmering water. Gently stir until melted.

To assemble:

1. Pour 1 tablespoon over tops of brownie bites or alternately dip tops of brownie in chocolate. Drizzle caramel sauce on top.

OMG! I don’t even know what to say except that I have been toying with the idea of getting one of these brownie bites pans and I am now DEFINITELY getting one! Like you I love sugar and chocolate which is why I love your blog so much! :)

2. judith says

My favorit recipe is:

Ferrero Rocher Brownie Bites with Caramel Icing
    Makes 24 bite-sized brownies

1 (18.5 oz. box) brownie mix (plus necessary eggs, oil & water per package instructions – or your favorite homemade recipe)
    24 Ferrero Rocher candies (or Rolo candies)
    4 tablespoons butter, softened
    4 oz. cream cheese, softened
    2-3 tablespoons caramel “sauce”
    1 cup confectioners sugar

Remove all wrappers from the candies.

Pre-heat oven to 325F.

Prepare brownies according to package directions. Grease a mini-muffin tin with cooking spray and fill each cup approximately 3/4 full with batter. Bake for 12-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and immediately press a candy into the center of each brownie bite. (The top of the candy will protrude a bit from the brownie…it’s OK…you’ll cover it with icing.) Cool for a couple of minutes in the tin then carefully remove the brownie bites from the pan to a cooking rack. Allow to cool completely.

To make the frosting, use the paddle attachment on a stand mixer and beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add the caramel sauce* and blend. Add the confectioners sugar and whip until creamy and smooth. Using a pastry or plastic bag with a piping tip, pipe the frosting onto the top of each brownie bite. Chill in the refrigerator to set the frosting a bit before serving.

*To make homemade caramel sauce, simple empty the contents of a small can of sweetened condensed milk into a saucepan. Stir constantly for 10 to 12 minutes over medium heat. (Do not let it scorch.) The milk will begin to deepen in color and thicken. Remove from heat when the caramel will thickly adhere to the back of your mixing spoon. The longer you cook it, the harder it will become when it cools until it is difficult to work with. To thin it, add a small splash of milk and mix well.

*You will only need two tablespoons of caramel to make the icing…but I found other ways to use the remaining caramel

3. Jessica says

Oh my, this one is a calorie pig for sure. Somehow I don’t think that’s going to stop me from making it though.

i LOVE rolo’s! who doesn’t? But in a brownie, with even more chocolate and caramel striped on top? that’s even more awesome that I could have imagined! YOU GO, girl!

5. Julia says

Oh, this is such a good thing. I made your Snickers brownies and BIG HIT. So I can’t wait to see how these will be received.

6. Jason says

Your directions say to bake for 45 minutes if using an 8 inch pan – is that right? Fouty Five minutes? Won’t they be rock hard? My standby brownie recipe which I bake in an 8″ pan bakes at 325F for 18 minutes.

• Naomi replied: — October 12th, 2011 @ 3:43 am

Hi Jason-Yes, that’s right. Hit the jump in the notes section and you will see that’s what Alton Brown’s recipe calls for.

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it.
    We would like to add it to the

enjoy it.

and benefit from their exposure on

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use or just go to and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

“Love the pudge, it’s where happiness radiates from….” that is so great! Thanks for the smile this morning. I really love rolos so this recipe makes me really hungry for something sweet.

9. Erin says

I made these with the silicone pans you recommended and had a lot of trouble getting them out. We sprayed the pans thoroughly. Any suggestions?

10. Aniko says

OMG – I made these this morning for a 4th of July party – they turned out fantastic! And I have to say I am baking challenged, but managed to put these together. For me, I couldn’t sift my brown sugar (it kept getting stuck) so I didn’t sift that and they still tasted okay. Also, I had a few that wouldn’t come out of my mini cupcake pan “neatly” – the top came off, exposing the caramel. But those were my “casualties” and had to be eaten by us (Oh darn!). Thanks for the sharing!

11. Teresa says

I have a question. For the chocolate covering it says to use 1/3 cups dark chocolate. I just wanted to get clarification whether that is the “powdered” baking chocolate or whether it was something different.

12. Liana says

I think it should be clarified for recipe literalists like myself that the dark chocolate for the topping should be sweetened dark chocolate. I thought it should have been sweetened, but it doesn’t say sweet or unsweetened. Well, live and learn.